Le Claire, IA
The City of Baton Rouge was built in 1916 at the Howard Ship Yards in Jeffersonville, IN. The boat was operated by the Baton Rouge Transportation Company and served as a ferry boat at the Mississippi. Like her sister Louisiana the boat has a catamaran hull and was powered by a single center-paddlewheel. The City of Baton Rouge had a capacity for 500 passengers and 21 cars.
In 1971 her steam engines, manufactured in 1915 by Gillett & Eaton, Lake City, MN, had been removed and transferred to the Julia Belle Swain. The City of Baton Rouge today is owned by Capt. Dennis Trone and serves as a landing boat for the MV Twilight in Le Claire, IA. The interior of the boat still shows its former beauty – unfortunately the stacks and the pilothouse were lost in a tornado some years ago.
See also the website of the Twilight: www.riverboattwilight.com.