The DELTA KING and her identical twin the Delta Queen – called the million dollar boats – were fabricated from 1924 to 1927 in Scotland. Both boats run for the California Transportation Company of San Francisco on the so called “Delta Route”, the Sacramtento – San Joaquin River Delta, which gave them their names. The boats took up their regular service on June 1, 1927, replacing the steamers Fort Sutter and Capital City.
Both boats had their last regular runs on September 29, 1940, the closing day of the Golden Gate International Exposition or world fair on Treasure Island. After troublesome years in Navy service while World War II and later even serving as floating hotel for aluminum workers in British Columbia in 1985 finally a restoration of the Delta King started ending with a grand opening on May 20, 1989. Since that the Delta King is serving as a hotel, theater and restaurant at the Old Sacramento waterfront.
We do have more pictures of the Delta King (though they’re dating back many years …).