No announcement yet.

The Ashton Valve Company 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of advertisements and an amusing steam whistle story.
    Attached Files

Comment

An article about steam whistles from Locomotive Appliances, 1919.
      Attached Files

Comment

The last two pages of the article.
        Attached Files

Comment

This Locomotive Up to Date article from 1921 also features steam whistles.
          Attached Files

Comment

Page 4 of the whistle article. The last photo is from the "bible" od steam whistle books. Great history and restoration tips.
            Any whistle collectors on this site?
            Attached Files

Comment

*RE: Whistle collectors on this site?*
              Morning, Rick. First, thanks for providing great material above. Also like the information on the Steamboat Inspectors. Yes, we do--or did--have whistle buffs on this site but many for various reasons have fallen along the side. Also experts here on steam calliopes etc. I'm sure some do lurk to see what has been posted. Question: How did you learn about this site? Hope all well where you are.

R. Dale Flick
              Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Dale Flick View Post
                *RE: Whistle collectors on this site?*
                Morning, Rick. First, thanks for providing great material above. Also like the information on the Steamboat Inspectors. Yes, we do--or did--have whistle buffs on this site but many for various reasons have fallen along the side. Also experts here on steam calliopes etc. I'm sure some do lurk to see what has been posted. Question: How did you learn about this site? Hope all well where you are.

R. Dale Flick
                Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Well, I found this site while doing a google search for Steamboat forums. Since I started researching the old family business, I have been looking for forums where it might fit in. I thought the story was interesting, but I couldn't think of any places where I felt the story would fit in. Safety valves and gauges were a part of industrial history no one usually talks about. So I started posting on a few of these type forums to see what kind of a reaction I would get. I now post on Steamboat, Railroad, and steam car forums and the interest seems to be there in most cases. I'm having a blast and meeting some wonderful people.

Comment

The company's first "home" was at 138 Pearls Street, Boston. In less than a year they were burned out by the Great Boston fire of 1872. The next few years they were at various locations in Boston. After another fire in 1879 they settled in at 271 Franklin Street, Boston where they remained for 27 years. 1907 saw the company outgrowing Franklin Street and building a much larger facility at 161 First Street, East Cambridge, where they were until 1948 when they moves to Wrentham ,Ma with the Crosby Valve Company. That was the final home of Ashton Valve
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Wrentham plant, the last home of Ashton Valve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Repair parts and testing equipment was available for most of the products. Test gauges to check the accuracy of many of the gauges and repair parts for a lot of their products. The company even offered a repair service for their items and once in a while you can find an inscription on the dial face that states "repaired by Ashton Valve".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Catalog #28 listed a few of the repair parts for valves and gauges.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Instruction book #17 contained parts breakdowns for many of the items they produced.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A few more valve repairs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

#17 also had parts for many of the gauges the company offered
                              Attached Files

Comment

A few more gauge parts offered in the #17 repair guide.
                                Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                                Working...
                                X