Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Cumberland River Navigation Charts

Hello all,

I have been researching the history of the upper Cumberland River region, specifically from Carthage TN to Burnside KY and have been trying to find historic navigational charts for this segment of the river in the time frame of 1900-1940, before Lake Cumberland was impounded. Does anyone know of an online resource for these, or originals that could be scanned?

Thanks,
    Rob Minton

*RE: Cumberland River Charts*
    Morning, Rob,
    Interesting question RE: Cumberland River charts 1900-1940 and I don't know all the answers by a long shot. I GOOGLED seeing you live down in Lynnville, IN north of Newberg and Evansville, IN with Henderson other side of the Ohio River. First, you could possibly locate the nearest U.S. Coast Guard district office down there to seek help. Also the U.S. Corps of Engineers. You could try to GOOGLE them for any leads or information. *With the current 'C-Virus' threat no doubt you'll find offices closed or, at most for emergencies, one or two persons on line at home. Public libraries in river towns and cities 'may' have charts but that's another issue now with all going on. There may be a few veterans who look on here who would know. Capt. Bill Judd down here in New Richmond, Ohio may have leads but he's also in virus lock down. In the past U.S. Government offices would allow you to see charts on file. Making any photo scan copies now questionable or if they would charge you as that takes personnel to find charts, make copies. There 'could' be an established towboat company or repair yards on the river with older, vintage charts but in the year 2020 that's anybody's good guess. Research is the hardest part of any project but can be the most interesting. Good luck and keep us posted.

R. Dale Flick
    Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Comment

Thanks, Dale!

Yes, I now live near Evansville, but grew up in Jeffersonville, Indiana. My parents are from the Russell Springs-Somerset, Kentucky area which drives my interest in the upper Cumberland River history.

I have a friend that works for the Corps of Engineers based out of Newburgh Lock & Dam, so I will give your suggestion a shot. I figured that my only chance of finding anything quickly these days would have to be an online resource. I also checked the Library of Congress website, and while I found several historic maps of the Cumberland River, nothing very detailed. I am looking for the locations of the various steamboat landings. I have also put out a recurring search on eBay to see if anything pops up on there.

There was a documentary recently released on Kentucky Educational Television (KET) called "Creelsboro and the Cumberland: A Living History". It can be viewed online if you Google that title and click on the KET search result. I thought it was very well done and others on this board might enjoy viewing it as well.

Regards,
      Rob Minton

Comment

Well, I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough. Found them on the Corps of Engineers site. Here are the charts from 1941, and there are several others available if that area interests you!

https://cdm16021.contentdm.oclc.org/...oll10/id/10129

Rob Minton

Comment

*E: Cumberland River Charts*
          Hi, Rob,
          Glad you found the Cumberland River charts. I took a look myself. Usually first thing I go for now with a question etc. is my internet search engine which is very good but often still leaves things out or hasn't yet been downloaded. I think of my earlier days in graduate school, researching/writing using the old approach in libraries with calling cards for books and documents.

R. Dale Flick
          Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X