Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke Moore
    replied
    Mystery solved... now, why are they still packing it around? Too big for a yard ornament,
    me thinks. I've got a steam thermometer from the St. Genny somewhere in my garage...
    she was scrapped here in Paducah and the fellow who took her apart gave it to me. I never
    did anything with it, no boat name, only "Lunkenheimer".

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    I think that photo solves the issue. It's not a staggered wheel that she has, but a wheel heavily built with a set of two flanges in the middle of the shaft. And we know that she had Nordberg machinery.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Judd
    replied
    That is an excellent picture of the Gennys wheel. I blew it up so that my 83 year old eyes could see better and it appears that it is what the "old timers" called a split wheel. Would that match the center flanges as Frank Prudent saw them ?? The mystery continues. Maybe "Tommy Towboater" would solve the mystery???

Leave a comment:

• Luke Moore
    replied
    Here is a view of the St. Genny's backside... looks like the crank on the barge at St. Louis.
    ALso a great link about attempts at restoration in the 80's. https://qctimes.com/news/local/remem...2c2021.html#34
    Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Genny.Backsides.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	65281

Leave a comment:

• Russ Ryle
    replied
    Morning friends,

Anyone operating a stern wheeler today with this type of crank configuration need a spare? Which boats would this work on?

Leave a comment:

• Luke Moore
    replied
    So who's crank would they be packing around? It looks like Corps tan.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Judd
    replied
    The St. Genevieve did NOT have a staggered wheel.

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    Look at the flanges and they can tell you two things for sure. The boat had a staggered wheel and Nordberg engines. The two flanges in the center are set up for a staggered wheel and only Nordberg had those teardrop shape cranks.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    I’d say that’s a pretty good gues, Luke.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Moore
    replied
    Belonged to the St. Genevieve? Only sternwheeler I can think of that the Corps
    would have spare parts to. Note the Corps tan paint.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Moore
    started a topic Paddle Crank at the USACOE St Louis...

Paddle Crank at the USACOE St Louis...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Paddle.Crank.St.Louis.2019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	69635
    Saw this on a USACOE deck barge in St Louis. Don't see too many any more!
    Surprised it has survived.
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X