Upper Miss Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Miss Pictures

Capt Harry Short (1870-1944) lived in Lansing Ia. He was an excellent photographer as well as a boat captain. Time has not been kind to his 5x7 glass plated negatives. When I scanned them I did the best I could, but still some deteriorated emulsion can be seen.
    This first photo is of the real rafter CLYDE.
    The second is of a shanty boat with the family....7 kids, poppa, with momma standing on the boat.
    Hope you enjoy.
    Attached Files

Thank you.

Neat pics.
    The Clyde looks like it could take on water any second. Had they no sense? :-)

Comment

More CYLDE photos

The first photo is the CLYDE's pilots eye view pushing a log raft.
      the second is looking at a relaxed pilot at the wheel of the CLYDE.
      Attached Files

Comment

Period

I notice the period after the name on the nameboard, just as today's NATCHEZ. has. What is the origin/significance of that?

Comment

I love the name of this cute little boat, CHANCY LAMB. It's a good photo too.
          Capt. Walnut eat your eat out, what a nice steam launch. Wouldn't you like to hear that whistle blow?
          Attached Files

Comment

Lamb family

The Lamb family was big around Clinton, lumber I believe.

Comment

Really neat photos! Thank you again.

Comment

A couple more.......
                A slightly out of focus shot of the rafter CLYDE.
                Second a Diamond Joe line boat with a barge alongside. I'm surprised they didn't slow the boat to keep from breaking up the log raft they are passing.
                Attached Files

Comment

*Keep sending these photos!*
                  Steamboating colleagues,
                  Jim, thanks for the great photos as Christmas presents and keep them coming our way! Don't worry about any being "out of focus." The previous ISLAND QUEEN photo steaming down the river no doubt, from what I see, snapped from the docks along old Eastern Avenue here in Cincinnati near Fulton--at least the distant hills look that way even today but with more buildings, houses on the far shore.

Judy has keen eyes and also asking the question about the [.] at the end of steamboat name boards. This once discussed/written about by Capt. Fred Way, Jack Custer, Capt. Clarke Doc Hawley and our late Alan Bates. Master model builder and S&D Board of Governor member John Fryant would no doubt know even more as he's studied lettering, paint schemes in steamboat names for years. Could have been 'aesthetics' with those skilled sign painters.

Other interesting photos show on some of the big 'brag' packet and steam towboats those beautiful name boards done with gold lettering over a base of, I 'think,' ground coal dust or particles. Really made things 'jump' in the right light. It was one skilled craft cutting, lettering those boards for sure. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
                  Old Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

Looks like the DUBUQUE, which later became the CAPITOL. Other option would be the SIDNEY/WASHINGTON.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X