Ohio River wicket dams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohio River wicket dams?

Okay, here's one for Capt. Bill Judd, or Dale, or Jim. I'm heading down the Ohio River. I know about old Lock #37 (Fernbank), #38 (Maxville/Belleview), #39 (Markland). I know McAlpine at Louisville was #41, renamed. The next one below that was #43 above Mosquito Creek. Here's my question: Was there ever a Lock #40 or a #42?

My wife's grandfather was on the first Corps of Engineers survey team with the task of determining the exact locations for the planned locks and dams. This was sometime in the very early 1900's. I asked him about this very thing. Lock 40 was originally planed to be placed right above Madison and lock 42 was planned to be somewhere around Fishtown Light. But as a result of their survey it was found that by raising the dam here at Louisville by just a couple of feet they could eliminate lock and dam 40 and they changed the location of 43 by just a few miles and that eliminated the need for dam 42.
    Like Dale, somewhere in my basement, I have a dusty box with some photos he took on that survey trip.

Comment

Capt. Bob the answer is NO. When they raised the crest on #41 that gave them plenty of water to #39. As to #42 surveys done in the early 1900's showed enough water to get from #43 up to #41.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, for your quick answers! Now we know!

Comment

And on the Upper Miss...

So what happened to 23? 22 is at Saverton, just below Hannibal, and 24 is at Clarksville. Where was 23 to be?

Comment

And what about 5 and 5A??????????????

Comment

That's right, dam 40 was to be just above Madison near "Bee Camp", approx mile 553.

Comment

Winona area

I do know that after the original design they determined that another dam was needed, but which was the original, 5 or 5A? At least they do make the total number come out to 27, as is the last lock numbered.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X