Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Government Steamer Plans/Blueprints

Hi all,
    Just curious if there are any surviving blueprints or anything to that effect of some of the small government owned sternwheelers. They all appear to have the same basic design, and it seems like there were quite a few of them. I have attached photos of the type of steamer in question. They are the "Ada" and "Louise."
    Thanks!

W.R. Dancey
    Attached Files

*Government Steamer Plans/Blueprints*
    Hi, W.R. Dancey & Steamboating colleagues,
    Great photos of the ADA and LOUISE above. Plans for U.S. Government boats on the rivers varied widely in design, size etc. One person posting on this web who could give you some direction would be master model builder John Fryant, S&D of Pioneer Rivermen Board of Governor member. His home library, work shop for his model work a dream. I know nothing about the above or even how to begin building a model. Another source could be the National Archives, Washington, D.C. or their related links to government boats for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Anybody else out there know? Again, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
    Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Comment

ADA & LOUISE

Perhaps they had no plans and were built the same way the old steamboats were constructed... by "eye" and "rule of thumb". That's the way the CLYDE. was built.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Clyde

I saw a boat like this about 6 weeks or maybe 8 weeks for sale for $163 thousand or maybe it was $113 thousand cannot remember which. Is this the same Clyde? Someone sent me an e mail about it but as I am a small riverboat model collector I had no place to put it . It looks like a real nice sturdy an well built boat.I hope he sells it it would make someone a nice boat.Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064 We have 3 commercial riverboats here. A great big one a medium size one an a small one. The Liberty Belle is the big one the Jungle Queen the med. size an the Carrie B the little one.Bye

Comment

The fine looks of the CLYDE were a topic of discussion today at lunch here on the R.M.S. QUEEN MARY 2 and how cute she was sitting at the upper end of the L'ville. landing last month.

Judy Patsch would know more than me, but both the ADA and LOUISE have a strong resemblence to Streckfus' FREDDIE. I wonder if they all came from the same yard. I'm in no condition to run and, "get the book," to check right now.

Comment

Checking in 'the book'

I'm not on the high seas, but I am in my suite at LeRichelieu - right next to the Paul McCartney suite. I arrived this afternoon, along with my usual November arctic blast. It is 45 and very windy and not very good steamboating weather, but we were camped out in the pilothouse around a small heater which I guess I had donated from my late great B-K apartment.
            Perhaps tomorrow will bring warmer temps - at least it isn't the 11 degrees Rock Island has right now.
            Isn't this LOUISE we are discussing the same LOUISE that Gary Frommelt owns?

Comment

*LOUISE still exists today, 2014*
              Morning, Steamboating colleagues,
              S&D colleague Capt. Tom Dunn out in Saint Looooie land communicated here later yesterday "reminding" me that the cute LOUISE [See above] still exists today if not in whole then nearly so in parcel. A number of you here know/remember Gary Frommelt. Gary gave a fine program for Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen in Marietta featuring his interest in the river, family history, involvement--and he's had plenty that continue to this day.

I recalled via Tom Dunn's steel trap memory that, indeed, Gary has owned the LOUISE for now 30 years. His project of purchase, transport, renovation, sinking and now more work to restore this cute little gal continues. Not for the timid with all that wood. A daunting task and as Tom Dunn opines, "He will never finish it in my life time." Ah, so many boats needing attention and so little time. Frank, have a great time on the high seas but brace yourself for the weather back home. My month at sea won't steam out until mid February to mid March. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
              Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River Cincinnati

Comment

The Louise

Where can I see a picture of the Louise? Found all kind of data on a site about it but no pic I am fairly new to the site so where can I see a photo? There is another Louise called the Angela Louise based in Sacremento Calif an its a small cute riverboat that mainly does weddings charters corporate affairs.etc Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064

Comment

*LOUISE picture at the top here*
                  Morning, Carol,
                  For a fine period picture of the LOUISE and the ADA, just scroll to the top of this web to click and view W.R. Dancey's initial posting and photos. Good pictures especially of the LOUISE. These boats often changed over the years with repairs, updating, new equipment with some photos looking far different never always being static from first being entered in service. John Fryant, David Tchiggfrie and others have the keen eyes able to discern often from year to year changes on steamboats appearing in period photos. Just look at the progression of changes in the DELTA QUEEN since her first days here in Cincinnati when I was a kid. A few purist claim the DQ looked better exteriorwise then than she does now. I'm sure Gary Frommelt has more on the LOUISE than any of us could dream in photos etc. I don't have Gary's address or E=Mail at this point. Perhaps Capt. Tom Dunn could give Gary a honk to click on here. There's also a 'school' of individuals in the professional and amateur boat model building who prefer, focus on cute little boats like these. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick

Comment

Sorry, not the same LOUISE. This LOUISE clearly had a model bow; Gary's LOUISE has a scow bow. Many other differences as well. Gary's boat was always a "gasboat".

Comment

Originally posted by carole matthews View Post
                      There is another Louise called the Angela Louise based in Sacremento Calif an its a small cute riverboat that mainly does weddings charters corporate affairs.etc Carole Matthews Pompano Beach Fla 33064
                      I could be wrong, but the ANGELA LOUISE out in the California Delta just might have a significant relation to the Ohio River. I believe that one of her previous names was BETTY BLAKE. I could be wrong though. There are some actual steamboat/river authorities wollering around the North Atlantic with me this time, and I'm due to meet them at a cocktail party in my room real soon. I'll have to ask them over a stiff G&T.

By the way last night the winds out here were over 60 knots/hour. That makes them hurricane strength. Tomorrow when we arrive in the Big Apple 20 degree temps are greeting us....brrrr

Comment

Louise Riverboat

I goofed The ANGELIA LOUISE is an electric riverboat an is located at 700 East Edgewater Ave Newport Beach Calif. Phone 949-723-`1403 an it looks pretty new but is as cute as it can be for a replica. According to their website they use it mostly for sightseeing weddings corporate affairs an you can rent the entire boat by the hour I think it said. There are dozens of pictures of it on their website. My apology to Mr Prudent. I looks at photos of the Betty Blake but does not look like the same boat.Carole M Pompano Beach Fla sunny South Fla where its 59 today BRRRRR.....excuse spelling

Comment

Homesick

Meanwhile in Kentucky mother nature is drunk, in the negatives including wind chill earlier today. It's not exactly pitch perfect river conditions, so I'm river-homesick right now. I want to get back near the water!!!
                          ML

Comment

Originally posted by carole matthews View Post
                            I goofed The ANGELIA LOUISE is an electric riverboat an is located at 700 East Edgewater Ave Newport Beach Calif. Phone 949-723-`1403 an it looks pretty new but is as cute as it can be for a replica. According to their website they use it mostly for sightseeing weddings corporate affairs an you can rent the entire boat by the hour I think it said. There are dozens of pictures of it on their website. My apology to Mr Prudent. I looks at photos of the Betty Blake but does not look like the same boat.Carole M Pompano Beach Fla sunny South Fla where its 59 today BRRRRR.....excuse spelling
                            The good Lord knows that there was no offence taken. But then the question remains, what name was the BETTY BLAKE given once out in California, and is she still out there?

Comment

*LOUISE scow bow etc.*
                              Morning, Bob & Steamboating colleagues,
                              Thanks for your data above RE: the "scow bow...gasboat" for the LOUISE. I'll pass this back to Capt. Tom Dunn for information so he can check again, contact Gary Frommelt. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X