Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess Who's Going to Louisville in October ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess Who's Going to Louisville in October ?

You bet I am. Already got my hotel reserved. Anybody else going ? And yes, I
    have my Belle of Louisville Birthday Bash T-shirt. ;-)

One week from today !

I'll be in Louisville and all the steamboats will be there ! Is anyone else going ?

Comment

One week from today !

I'll be in Louisville and all the steamboats will be there ! Is anyone else going ?
      Message me if you are !

Comment

Yes, but technically no...

I'll be over there, except I'll be at the Howard Museum in Jeffersonville helping out, so I don't know how much I'll be at the Louisville wharf. There will be many people there who have posted in the past, but as you may see, there isn't a lot of posting on here anymore. I hope you can join us at the Howard at some point, especially on Saturday afternoon at 3 when Doc Hawley will be the River Ramblings speaker. He'll talk about his days on the tramp steamer AVALON (and most anything else someone asks). Then on Sunday at 3 the double team of David and Jonathan Tschiggfrie will present their epic history of the IDLEWILD/AVALON/BELLE, which they gave several years ago, but which has been revised and embellished. Both events take place at the Howard Steamboat Museum in Jeffersonville (just across the 2nd Street bridge and down Spring St. from the Louisville landing) in the Carriage House at 3 PM EDT. Admission is $5, which helps support the Little Museum that Can... and Does!

Comment

We are expecting 40 people at the MOR banquet on Saturday.

Comment

The Reynolds's will be there! Looking forward to it.

Comment

"The Voice of the River"

Since rumor has it that the BELLE's calliope is going to be silenced, save for the race, because it will interfere with the land music, does this mean the calliope barge music will not happen either? Sounds a lot like the evolution of Tall Stacks to the land-based stuff instead of the boats....and more of a Bourbon festival rather than a BELLE Bash....

Comment

Things aren't working out here :-(

Due to circumstances beyond my control, my trip to Louisville has to be canceled. Needless to say I'm very upset by it, but certain things must take precedence. I hope that those of you that do attend will post plenty of pictures of the festivities on here so that those of us who can't go will at least get a glimpse of the happenings.

Comment

Who (Keith, Travis???) can tell me about parking for the big event? I looked at the Festival of Riverboats site but see nothing about parking...

Comment

Parking

There is parking around Joe's Crab Shack, though that's just normal parking. I would tell you more but I'm not as familiar with the area as others.

Comment

RE: Parking
                      I believe if you go to the Festival Website and look under FAQ, there is an interactive map with parking information. It doesn't give prices, but I believe Louisville's day rate is somewhat less than other big cities that I have heard about.
                      I would like to caution all, that due to the construction of the new bridge that traffic downtown has become somewhat challenging. So please make a note to allow extra time to arrive at your destination in plenty of time.
                      Also in going back and forth across the river, the approaches to the Kennedy (I-65) bridge are challenging and the 2nd Street (Clark Memorial Bridge) is down to one lane both ways. I have found it much easier to head West on I-64 and go through downtown New Albany if I want to go to Jeffersonville or Clarksville from Louisville and visa versa.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Thank you, Jo Ann! We'll see you Friday!

Comment

Louisville Roads

My Grandfather lives in this area, and knows all about how to get around traffic on the frequently gridlocked roads, like the Interstate and Gene Snyder Freeway. There are many back roads in Louisville, making it easy to get around the tricky places. Those back roads are the only reason I make it to my favorite viewing spot for the Great Steamboat Race! If the weather is nice, I would avoid going on the Kennedy and Clark Memorial bridges, and just walk across the Big 4 Bridge. I certainly think it'd be smart, though, of course, you'd be walking quite a distance! Oh well, as a Kentuckian I have gotten used to the traffic jams around pretty much all metropolitan areas because of construction... even my humble town far away from many big cities!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                          Working...
                          X