X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franz Neumeier
    replied
    Friends, with all respect, I'll close this thread here. It's getting way too personal and I'd like to kindly remind you of the message board rules ...

Then, I think this is an internal affair of S&D anyway and doesn't belong in a public forum.

In addition to that, right now I'm sitting on a 60-Cents-per-minute Internet connection on a cruise ship and I don't want to spend a fortune for moderating a forum thread that goes far beyond the limits ...

I hope for your understanding.

Franz

Leave a comment:

• Taylor Abbott
    replied
    Speaking for Myself

Judy, I speak for no one but myself when I address this forum.

I am proud to serve S&D as a board member and of the fact that we have worked so hard to improve the Reflector and S&D in general by modernizing certain areas. David's work is exceptional and in my opinion the Reflector has never looked better. With that being said, the board has spent the better half of two years working to make each subscribers' $30 worth their while by making gradual improvements that have been made with great respect and care in regards to the organization and its base.

I find your addressing issues you deem problems in a public forum to be inappropriate and wrongly directed. There is a time and a place to air one's grievances. It seems no matter what this board and those of the previous ten years has done, you have regularly and unfairly scrutinized it. If you are truly concerned about S&D and its potential members and want to boldly suggest that my "arrogant comments...aren't conducive to increasing S&D memberships" then I would direct your attention to comments of late and in previous that you have made in this public forum that I'm certain would be far more harmful to S&D's future than anything I have said.

S&D is a wonderful organization and one in which I am a proud, devoted member. I will continue praising the work of the organization just as I did prior to my becoming a member of the board. I am sorry your experiences with S&D are not the same as mine or many others for that matter.

Judy and all, this will be my last posting on .org. I wish you each the best and hope you enjoy the outstanding and impressive masterpiece that is the September Reflector, courtesy of S&D's esteemed and talented Editor David Tschiggfrie. My time on this forum has drawn to a close but my work and that of others in S&D will surely continue. I hope to see many of you at the upcoming 75th anniversary meeting in Marietta.

Taylor Abbott
    Clarington, OH

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    A different era

Glad you are so nonchalant about it Taylor. We too have other aspects to our lives besides reading the Reflector, however we oldsters were conditioned to the arrival of Fred Way's editions which did arrive much earlier and concurrent than today's do. And Editor Dave's journals are every bit as worthwhile. Taylor, once again you seem to be making arrogant comments which aren't conducive to increasing S&D memberships. If you don't care when the Reflector arrives, fine. But don't denigrate those of us who do prefer to receive it in a timely fashion. Remember, you are part of the Board which has determined that the Reflector will be the main benefit of membership. To act as if it doesn't matter when it arrives doesn't say much for the importance you place on it.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor Abbott
    replied
    Reflector Arrival

I'd complain about mine arriving later than usual and occasionally not at all considering I'm only 50 miles above Marietta but it will get here when it gets here. My excitement for the Reflector over the years is just as fervent when it arrives on schedule or if it's two weeks late. Much like many of you there are other things in life to keep busy with while it makes it way through the mail system. I won't be losing any sleep over it while I wait but I will once it arrives and I spend most of the night reading it!

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Paulson
    replied
    BELLE, Reflector and Bulk mail...

A wise dot-orger sent info as to how to obtain a copy of the BELLE issue. I sent the requisite $10 plus a donation to cover postage.

Regarding bulk third class non-profit mailing, our Museum discontinued using bulk mail in favor of first class postage to expedite the mailing. Non-profit mail and is not priority for delivery. I observe that large quantities sent to a single zip generally get through promptly. But when you are sending one or two pieces to individual zip codes across a wide area then you get the three-week delays or longer. Your mileage may vary.

Wesley

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    The Reflector still hasn't landed!!!

When I was on the Board a decade or so ago, I suggested that members have the option of paying a higher dues rate to include 1st class delivery of the Reflector. This was met with indifference. I'd like to suggest that a current board member might pose this possibility again, considering the ridiculously long span between issue arrivals among the membership. A difference of 3 weeks or more is not acceptable, especially since the 'new' focus of the group is as a magazine provider with meetings secondary. If the magazine is truly to be the 'hook' for membership, it should be more readily available - and I don't mean electronically!

Leave a comment:

• Lexie Palmore
    replied
    According to the Reflector, back or current issues may be ordered from PO Box 352, Marietta, OH, 45750. It didn't say to whom it should be addressed, however. For you as a non-member it would cost 10 measly bucks. Such a deal! Especially the Belle issue, which should cost $20.

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Paulson
    replied
    I am generally over-subscribed and am cutting back on memberships, etc. I will not be in Louisville for the party but would like to buy a copy of the BELLE edition. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Reynolds
    replied
    Plans are afoot to have them for sale on the BELLE during the October shindig, but may I ask WHY you're not a member/subscriber? EVERY issue is great!

Leave a comment:

• Wesley Paulson
    replied
    Where might a non S&D'er buy a copy of the BELLE issue?

Thanks!

Wesley

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Reflector has NOT landed!

Hopefully I will receive this issue before the BELLE's 150th anniversary...grr...

Leave a comment:

• Frank X. Prudent
    replied
    WOW, editor Dave has really out done himself on this one. My REFLECTOR just came today, and it was quite difficult pulling myself away from it for dinner and company this evening. I'm savoring each word and picture.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    started a topic S&D REFLECTOR has LANDED!

S&D REFLECTOR has LANDED!

The September issue of the S&D REFLECTOR arrived on the mail packet yesterday. To say "WOW" is truly an understatement! This issue commemorates the Centennial Celebration of our beloved BELLE of LOUISVILLE with a complete history of the boat from her launching to the present day. The magnificent magazine is comprised of 104 pages and contains 243 images!

A long and two shorts of the whistle to "Editor Dave" for a superbly-done-from-the-heart sensational issue that will be treasured for many decades to come!

THANKS!

IMAGE: The Str. AVALON at the New Albany, Indiana wharf (before we had a floodwall) on May 12, 1949. The occasion was the New Albany High School Prom. My parents-to-be were aboard!
    Attached Files
ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X