Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locating a part of history

Hi all,
    I'm trying to find out what ever happened to a stern wheeler. I helped build her in Waco Texas back in the early 70's. It was christened the Barazos Queen and was used as a dinner cruise boat for a few years before being sold and moved to Rockwell Texas.
    The last info I can find states it was used as a cruise boat there on lake Ray Hubbard under the new name Texas Queen. That's where the trail ends. There are rumors that it went into disrepair and sunk.
    My wife and I are planing a trip to Texas in March and I sure would love to see her again, the Queen that is not my w--- oh you know what I mean!
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    JR

Couldn't find anything about it either. So, you could try the Graceful Ghost, near Caddo Lake, a real steamboat, the Captain at Galveston, or the Southern Empress on Lake Conroe. There was another one on Lake Bob Sandlin, but I don't believe it is operation and can't remember the name.

Comment

Barazos Queen

Thanks for the info.
      I just made contact with one of the sons of the president of L & M Packet. The company I was working with during construction of the Barazos Queen. We are meeting tomorrow.
      He knows the location of the City of West Bend the original prototype we built in where else West Bend, WI
      Looking forward to reliving some of the events of years gone by.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was called Brazos Queen, after the river. Let me know if you find it.

Comment

I have this photo of the BRAZOS QUEEN. Unknown date or location. I presume this might be your boat(?). I have no other information for it..

-Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

This "piqued" my interest, so I did some searching and found these photos of the TEXAS QUEEN. I also found postings from people stating that it was formerly the BRAZOS QUEEN. See attached photos. The smaller photo shows it still operation in September 2012. The photo caption read: "The original Brazos Queen still lives as the "Texas Queen" on Lake Sam Rayburn near Rockwall, Texas". This is a nice looking boat!
            Attached Files

Comment

Barazos Queen

Good info and pics Thanks!
              I spent yesterday morning with my old employers son. We toured the warehouse where we built the City of West Bend. Great Memories! We will be digging through some old files and seeing what was kept. Did find out she was bought down south as a derelict, moved to New Jersey, renovated and put back into operation. Saw some pics but hope to get more details

As for the Barazos Queen. Yes, it was named after the river. She was a beauty. Sure hope I can find her. I have construction photos some place I'll try and find and post, if I can figure out how.
              JR

Comment

I have one September 1975 photo of the City of West Bend. The photo caption indicates it was at Port Washington, WI, on Lake Michigan, preparing for a trip to St. Louis to be sold. It says the boat was built by Carl Mies and his son David, of West Bend, WI.

You can also find a nice photo of this boat in the LaCrosse Collection:
                Collection Home | UW-La Crosse Historic Steamboat Photographs | University of Wisconsin Digital Collections

Search for City of West Bend, and its on the 3rd page of search results.

I don't know what the boat's current disposition is..

-Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

City of West Bend

Great picture!
                  We found a clipping of same Saturday. The picture showers her after we put the stacks etc. back on after transport, by truck, from West Bend. My wife and I were staying in a motor home behind her during this refit. Can't see it in this shot.

A couple days later we started the trip to the Mississippi via Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. A very interesting shake down cruise. She was not designed for 3 foot + waves.
                  JR

Comment

James,

I found this website. But there´s no year noted so I can´t say whether it´s sort of up to date or not. As address it says "Bayview Marina, 600 Cook Drive, Rowlett, TX" (15 min from Dallas). When you enter the address in google maps you can see the boat on the satelite picture.

Carmen

Comment

Yeah, and the satellite image data is from 2013, so it's probably still there. Looks to me like the boat is floating, but is now locked into the docks as part of the cafe/restaurant/dance/party complex, and may not be operational for excursions (?)...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Steve,

Even when it says 2013 at the bottom of the picture it can be "anytime". I remember seeing satelite photos of New Orleans which I could date by the boats seen and it still said the current year.

Carmen

Comment

The CITY OF WEST BEND was built in 1974 by John Louck in West Bend, WI. She was originally operated by Meis Filter Products and operated in West Bend, WI until sold in 1977 to Jewel City Excursions who renamed her CAMDEN QUEEN and ran her at Huntington, WV for many years. Her main route was between downtown Huntington and the old Camden Park about 10 miles down river. She was replaced in the mid 1990s by the JEWEL CITY and sold to Bob and Marie Foster. They moved her to Schuylerville, NY and she being operated on the Champlain Canal as the CALDWELL BELLE where she runs today. According to her website she was sold again in the last year to a couple who are planning on keeping her on Champlain Canal.

Here is a link to the operators site.
                          Mohawk MaidenCruises - Home

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Vasconcelos View Post
                            The CITY OF WEST BEND was built in 1974 by John Louck in West Bend, WI. She was originally operated by Meis Filter Products and operated in West Bend, WI until sold in 1977 to Jewel City Excursions who renamed her CAMDEN QUEEN and ran her at Huntington, WV for many years. Her main route was between downtown Huntington and the old Camden Park about 10 miles down river. She was replaced in the mid 1990s by the JEWEL CITY and sold to Bob and Marie Foster. They moved her to Schuylerville, NY and she being operated on the Champlain Canal as the CALDWELL BELLE where she runs today. According to her website she was sold again in the last year to a couple who are planning on keeping her on Champlain Canal.

Here is a link to the operators site.
                            Mohawk MaidenCruises - Home
                            I can't tell you which REFLECTOR the photo of the CITY OF WEST BEND was in, but I do remember a photo and caption gracing the REFLECTOR. It was probably during the early eighties sometime while Fred Way was editor.

I recall being in the pilot house of the DELTA QUEEN with Cappy Louden as pilot and C.W. Stoll helping to keep the lazy bench warm. We were abreast of Twelve Pole Creek heading towards Huntington, and not due in till the next morning. The CAMDEN QUEEN came out from her landing a bit up the creek and her captain challenged us to a race. I'm sure those onboard the CQ were more excited than we were, but the CQ about bailed her wheel dry trying to keep up with us.

Comment

Excellent info Travis, thanks!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X