Boardwalk Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boardwalk Empire

I was watching Sundays episode and Nucky Thompson was having lunch with Eddie Canter. On the mantle over Eddie Canter's shoulder was a model of the Delta Queen. It was a recent model as it has the most recent style of smoke stack, the one currently she is sporting. The model was at least a foot and a half long. The stage appeared to be swinging free. Did anyone notice the model as well? Also, John Fryant may have a little insight for us all. Thanks Mark

Mark,
    Sorry, I don'tknow anything about the show or the model. I've never seen the show. Edie Cantor was an old time comedian who has been dead for some years. Whats he doing on today's TV?

Comment

John, the show is set in the early years of Prohibition in Atlantic City. Though I don't watch it now, I have seen probably half of teh first season's episodes. Not a bad show!

Comment

Originally posted by John Fryant View Post
        Mark,
        Sorry, I don'tknow anything about the show or the model. I've never seen the show. Edie Cantor was an old time comedian who has been dead for some years. Whats he doing on today's TV?
        Hi Guys,
        Edie Cantor was a singer, dancer, comedian. Had a Sunday night radio show back in the 40's. He later was on Tv. His nick name was "BANJO EYES" He and his wife IDA had about five kids. All girls, as I remember. I am now 87 yrs. young, but I can still sing his theme song, ONE HOUR WITH YOU. Not many of us old geezers still around that remember.
        FRANK

Comment

Found It

Here is the image of the DQ. According to program notes, the setting is Babette's club.

http://www.tvgasm.com/wp-content/upl...-bigot-3-5.png

Not sure how the DQ got on the set or if someone cleverly placed it there?

Wesley

Comment

Bob,Wesley,
            Thanks for the Boardwalk show info and the photo. Guess you can tell I don't watch much TV. I remember Eddie Cantor from when I was a kid. He was on radio and early TV. From the photo, I'd say that the actor did a pretty good version of him. As for the model, it has to be someone's scratch-built effort, as there are no kits available in that size.

Comment

*RE: DQ in Babette's Club*
              Steamboating colleagues:
              Thanks to Bob Wesley for the photo of Cantor in 'Babette's Club' with the more than out of period chronological dated DELTA QEEN on the rear mantel. Off hand I'd opine the head set/props master was creating the set for the shoot and needed somelthing--anything--to fill the mantel ASAP. Probably no plan or premeditation to it.

Look closely in many TV series, specials, cable TV programs, movies and you'll see some pretty interesting things lurking on the set or caught by the camera. The program 'West Wing' [White House etc.] had a ship's painting on the rear wall that caught viewing eyes. I looked again and again and AGAIN! until recognizing it as the USS OLYMPIA, Naval battle cruiser of 1898 Spanish-American War fame. Hollywood producers/studios glean the country for film sites--and nice tax benefits from cities, states etc. They often play one city or state off the other; then when filming over, pack up and move on.

I know a Hollywood set manager and consultant who travels the country seeking out sites termed locales. I helped on one outside set for 'Lost in Yonkers' filmed in Ludlow, KY here. Detailed studio drawnings were brought to match as closely with the geographic site. She would go ballistic if something wasn't authentic as to time period, locale etc. Flowers, certain foods, fruits/vegetables, furniture, inside/outside light fixtures, street scenes et. al. so filmed had to be totally authentic to the era, set and setting/time and place. I also helped trace down a period high school in northern Kentucky with the Cincinnati hills in the distance for the teen movie 'Rollerblade.' The script/setting called for "winter with snow" and, by golly, the week the film crew, film stars arrived, there was a period of perfect cold with snow here. Did I get a studio finders fee? Yes. Not 'pure steamboats' here but interesting as per the discussion of the DQ, Babette's Bar, Eddy Cantor. Do I remember Cantor? You bet and very well. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
              Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

And they just "happened" to find a recent, hand made model of the Delta Queen??? I would like to visit that props department, or the master thereof. Often wondered why no one made a period piece movie on the Delta Queen. By that I mean 1920's.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X