pix of AMERICAN QUEEN upbound in QC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pix of AMERICAN QUEEN upbound in QC

Greetings from the banks of the Willamette River... in Eugene Oregon! I didn't get these pictures taken Monday posted because I was getting ready for this sojourn to the Left Coast on Tuesday. So, here belatedly are pix of the AQ as she approached the lower end of our harbor, the I -280 bridge and up through Lock 15. (Normally I start down at L&D 16 and work my way up, but not this time due to the time crunch.)
    1) approaching the I -280 bridge, with a clearance this day of 60 ft. Note the pilothouse has been partially lowered.
    2) note the partially lowered height of the pilothouse, with a crew member eyeballing the bridge
    3) the moment of truth

When the river is at normal levels, they lower the pilothouse completely here..
    Attached Files

AQ upbound

1) got it made...
    2) from my home area 480UMR 18th Avenue in RI. Note the pilothouse has been raised.
    3) approaching the main chamber of L&D 15. To the right is the end of the Government Bridge swing span. The lock gate control shed is to the left, and the stuff in the foreground is the electrical gate machinery.
    Attached Files

Comment

AQ in Lock 15

1) a familiar site along the river this summer - a dredge working just below the lock, had to break the pipeline for the AQ to pass.
      2) crawling up the guidewall. Capt. Joe Jamieson was one of the people on the wingbridge
      3) The world famous riverlorian/calliopist Travis Vasconcelos!!!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

leaving 15 at 5 PM

1) the lift was about 18 ft. this time, double the usual amount
        2) heading out
        3) onward toward the fall foliage which I'm sure they are enjoying upriver this trip
        Attached Files

Comment

Judy, great pictures, but since you're up in Portland now, how's the Str. PORTLAND doing?

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X