Happenings at the Howard Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happenings at the Howard Museum

Each day "on deck" at the Howard Steamboat Museum is fun and exciting! Friday was no exception, when Mr. Frank Grimm called and offered the museum a large steam gauge which has been in his family for many decades. His father was employed at the Howard Shipyard and this apparently is a gauge for the main steam line. I have seen another identical one from the Str. MISSISSIPPI. I can hardly wait for Chief Engineer Kenny (who has been on a trip to Greece) to see this! We thank Mr. & Mrs. Grimm for the delivery and gift of this unique artifact --now the largest steam gauge in the HSM collection!

Shirley Burwinkle, former calliopist on the BELLE of LOUISVILLE (1966-1971) donated a number of books, prints and other river materials to HSM as she prepares to relocate to Tennessee. Many of these items are duplicates that can be sold in the gift shop. It was Shirley who first permitted yours truly to play the cally-ope on the BELLE in 1968, when I was a lad of 14. She said that she is proud to regard Travis and me as her protege's. Thank you Shirley!

Yvonne and I, plus HSM board president Rick Madden, were pleased to host a lunch in the mansion dining room with Mark Knoy, president and CEO of American Commercial Lines, as our guest. Through Mark's courtesy (and generous efforts by Jeffboat and AQ crew) the MQ bell now proudly resides on the mansion lawn and is rung daily by appreciative museum visitors.

Today's Courier-Journal contains an article (with a big photo of yours truly!) concerning the recent gift of rare documents chronicling early steamboat building (pre-Howard) in Clark County by the Daniel French family. The formal transfer of these documents, which include an early copy of Zadok Cramer's Navigator, will take place on Saturday, September 22nd at 4:00 PM.

Always something going on at "the BIG house" by the river!

Here we go, Keith :-)!

Carmen

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Carmen! Appreciate your posting the link on here and on Facebook!

Comment

More from the Fenn Collection now at HSM

I neglected to mention that, amidst all the other happenings of the past week, I made another trip to Tell City at the request of the children of the late Bert and Mary Fenn. The beautiful home on the bluff overlooking the Ohio that the family enjoyed for many years has been sold and will be occupied by new owners at month's end. Emily and John asked me to come pick up some 8 boxes or so of river books and a dozen carousels of slides featuring images of riverboats, historic homes and various regional scenes. All of this will be added to the 22 bankers boxes of excellent reference materials that were donated in May.

The Howard Steamboat Museum is most grateful for this generous gift from the Fenn family.

Comment

A Steamboat Engineer Said So!

Chief Engineer Dan Lewis (AQ/BELLE of LOU.) came by the museum today and agrees that the BIG steam gauge is a main steam line gauge. Thanks Dan -- and come back soon -- especially now that you and Kelley are museum members!

Keep up steam!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Norrington View Post
            Each day "on deck" at the Howard Steamboat Museum is fun and exciting! Friday was no exception, when Mr. Frank Grimm called and offered the museum a large steam gauge which has been in his family for many decades. His father was employed at the Howard Shipyard and this apparently is a gauge for the main steam line. I have seen another identical one from the Str. MISSISSIPPI. I can hardly wait for Chief Engineer Kenny (who has been on a trip to Greece) to see this! We thank Mr. & Mrs. Grimm for the delivery and gift of this unique artifact --now the largest steam gauge in the HSM collection!

Shirley Burwinkle, former calliopist on the BELLE of LOUISVILLE (1966-1971) donated a number of books, prints and other river materials to HSM as she prepares to relocate to Tennessee. Many of these items are duplicates that can be sold in the gift shop. It was Shirley who first permitted yours truly to play the cally-ope on the BELLE in 1968, when I was a lad of 14. She said that she is proud to regard Travis and me as her protege's. Thank you Shirley!

Yvonne and I, plus HSM board president Rick Madden, were pleased to host a lunch in the mansion dining room with Mark Knoy, president and CEO of American Commercial Lines, as our guest. Through Mark's courtesy (and generous efforts by Jeffboat and AQ crew) the MQ bell now proudly resides on the mansion lawn and is rung daily by appreciative museum visitors.

Today's Courier-Journal contains an article (with a big photo of yours truly!) concerning the recent gift of rare documents chronicling early steamboat building (pre-Howard) in Clark County by the Daniel French family. The formal transfer of these documents, which include an early copy of Zadok Cramer's Navigator, will take place on Saturday, September 22nd at 4:00 PM.

Always something going on at "the BIG house" by the river!
            I haven't been online here for a long time, and hate to ask for help when I've been otherwise occupied.... but....
            I need whatever information anyone has and will share on the Louisville-based OHIO RIVER TRANSIT COMPANY. I need this for an article and deadline is staring me in the face.
            Keith Norrington, Steve Huffman and Bill Judd have given me "stuff," but I would like to include the ownership of this company, when it first began and how many boats it operated. I DO know it was sold to Greene Line Steamers, Inc. in 1936.
            Can't believe there isn't more in several archives I've researched about this Ohio River company!
            Thanks in advance for whatever y'all can do for me on this project.
            Sharon Cunningham
            on Beautiful Reelfoot Lake, TN

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X