Nothing but the Steamer NATCHEZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing but the Steamer NATCHEZ

Here's a series of pix I took today as the NATCHEZ was downbound below the Chalmette Ferry and oil refinery. She made her turn behind a big row of willow trees which obscured it from my view, so we go from downbound to upbound with no in between.

As you can see, she is dwarfed by the ocean-going vessels. The orange one is a tanker unloading at the refinery and the black one is an American-flagged tanker heading upriver.
    Attached Files

Continuing downriver

there are very few places where you can get only greenery in the background. This is one of the better places to catch it.
    Attached Files

Comment

And starting back upriver

She's downbound - no wait, now she's upbound!
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice. I'd sure like to get a ride on her some day.

Comment

The willows strike!

The willows on the levee are obscuring her!
          Attached Files

Comment

The command center

The pilothouse is perched higher than any other I've been in. It was raised with the expectation of needing room below for the big wheel which the Coast Guard wouldn't allow because it was too much wood.(That wheel is in the stern windows of the dining room, still wood...)
            And moving on upriver...
            Attached Files

Comment

One last shot

She's in the General Anchorage here, about to go to the starboard side of a ship and out of view...
              Attached Files

Comment

What beautiful pictures, Judy! The NATCHEZ is about the most photogenic boat I have ever seen in history or modern times. What a testament to the architect, Captain Alan Bates and his eye for functional beauty!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X