Mississippi Queen Bell Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannons on the River

Dale, I have no knowledge of any cannons at the Howard, other than two Civil War cannons which formerly graced the front lawn in front of the mansion and which show up in various photographs. These were donated for the WW II effort and melted down.

Seems the Ohio River Museum once had a small signal cannon on display, but I haven't been there in nearly a decade and neither know if it still is exhibited nor it's provenance.

Comment

Cannons on the river

Years ago when the DQ Co. staged the beginning of the DQ/MQ 'race' to St. Louis for the NOLA 6 PM newscast, they had the puniest 'cannon' I've ever seen on the wharf. It couldn't have been more than a foot long WITH stand and looked like it came from a toy store...it was as authentic as the 'race', I guess.
      After the 'race' began at Canal St. for the newscast, one of the boats returned to Robin St. to pick up her later-arriving passengers. Don't think that would have happened in 1870!

Comment

Dale: I maintain a couple of cannon ready to start a steamboat race or mebbe stop one! Shantyboat Mike has loaned me his uncle Herb's Winchester 10 gauge cannon winch has also been used in similar capacity. The latter is a breech loader and Peters Cartridge Company once loaded "Yachtgun" shells just for that. They were loaded with black powder, not smokeless...made a fine BOOM and a nice balloon of white smoke. Breaking open shot gun shells will most likely yield smokeless powder which is likely to generate either a fizzle or blow up the piece due to high pressure. Cannons are dangerous in the hands of those who do not know what they are doing...mebbe moreso in the hands of those who THINK they know what they are doing. Just ask the Mythbusters about cannons...they sure hushed the one up where they put a shot thru a residence and into the back seat of a car! I think that the TOM GREENE had a cannon made by someone in Newport. Whether that is in Kentucky or Ohio I donno as they had connections to both places. I used my golf-ball cannon (without a golf-ball) to start steamboat races in Covington...likely against the law but there were NO problems. Cannons can be great fun and great danger...add a little ethyl alcohol to the mix and... Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Years ago, when the DQ left Cincinnati, after travelling down river some hours, someone would shoot off a cannon from their house on the river, as we passed by. Anybody know who that might have been?

Comment

Lexie: There wuz pirates on the river back then. You could ask Big Cap in hiz day...he knew all about them. There wuz a nest of them down about Hamilton Landing. Usta give the pax a thrill or two thereabouts. Hard to believe but some sed Big Cap was complicit in these activities. They coulda been bought off with a fair damsel or two or mebbe something of equal value like a quarter barrel of beer. Shantyboat Mike and Crazy Clifford both knew about them but Clifford's lips are sealed and Mike might be bribed to tell what he knows. As for me, I know nothing! Nothing at all! Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Maybe some of those folks had kinfolks that used to sit around the round table? eh what?

Comment

Guilty, guilty

Hey, I Know Nothing Schultz, you might have sed 2 much.....

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X