MQ spirit lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MQ spirit lives

I thought I would share a couple of pictures with you. The pilothouse name board is in a temporary position on our deck, overlooking the Ohio river at MM 600.5. later this year it will take on a more permanent site on the upper hillside along with the mermaids.

A quick update on the mermaids; they are at a local body shop being repaired of many cracks and a few breaks in their fiberglass. Most of the repair work is completed and they will be painted next. We were also able to replace the missing fingers! The picture of the mermaids is where I picked them up in Pierre Part, LA.

I plan on having the mermaids and the sign displayed (temporary) for the Great Steamboat race, Belle of Louisville Vs American Queen on April 25. If you happen to be on one of the boats for the race try and convince the Capt to give us a whistle or two in memory of the MQ!
    Attached Files

Thank you!

Having sailed on the MQ in the 90's, I still miss her. I wish you could have saved the whole boat, but it is too late to think about it. We should be happy that the AQ is coming up the Old Miss today. In reading a Natchez Democrat Newspaper today the town is very excited about the visits of overnight steamboats, again.

Comment

Update on mermaids

Another quick update on the mermaids. They are now mostly stripped of 8-10 different colors and coats of paint. The fiberglass bodies have a lot of cracks that are being repaired. We will also have to replace a fair amount of the steel that is inside that offers strength to them and is using as a means to mount them to something. They should be in primer next week and will hopefully be on display, although not painted in time for the Great Steamboat Race.
      Attached Files

Comment

George,

That gray color is pretty close to their natural color as built. You have more time than you think, as the race isn't until the 2nd of May this year.

Travis

Comment

mermaids

You are correct about the natural color of gray.

Also correct about the date of the Great race being May 2, my mistake as I was off one week and thanks for catching that.

My body man will be especially happy that he has another week too.

Comment

How about painting them au naturel. That would attract a lot of attention, especially if they are facing the river.

Comment

mermaids

I am certainly open to suggestions as this decision has not been made.

I assume you mean paint them as nudes?

With so many different looks over the years we are at a loss as to how to outfit them. Any other ideas out there?

Comment

They are tastefully done and quite realistic, as far as being a mermaid goes, and I would use a greenish hued flesh color on the body and fish colors on the tails, maybe 2 different species of fish. Hair color different on each. Faces with a little touch of makeup. They would be beautiful. You want me to come and do it?

Comment

Originally posted by George Burch View Post
                  You are correct about the natural color of gray.

That is not correct, nor were they ever grey. At one time they were a washed out green that might of looked greyish. When the MQ came out in 1976 the two mermaids and their pilot's wheel were a very dark glossy brown to appear as if they were bronze. There were some gold highlights too.

Comment

Well, if you're going to "Hot Rod" them, I'd go with the greenish flesh tone on the "naked" parts, golden hair, and then a green-gold metal-flake on the scale part to resemble real fish scales--something with iridescence--maybe a silver-white iridescence finish!
                    Stock color would, I'll bet be a copper-bronze look.
                    Now what about the wheel they used to hold? any chance of replicating that?
                    S'
                    David D.

Comment

Yeah, Lexie, I'd vote for you to do it! Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

Mermaids and wheel

My goal would be to paint them with something that would please most folks in this group. I also want to come up with a paint scheme that best represents the history of the boat and the mermaids. The problem for me is that I don't have a good feel for what that is. I have located a number of different paint schemes that were used over the years but don't know which is best.

I realize that there will never be consensus and that there were several different paint schemes used over the years.

I would be honored if Lexie were available to provide the painting or at least serve as a consultant.

As for the wheel, I have had no luck in finding the old wheel.

Once the mermaids are ready to move again and can be properly set up, I intend to take some measurements for a replacement wheel.

From my best guess, the old wheel appears to have been about 48 inches in diameter. If that is the case there are a number of options for wood wheels on the internet in that size range.

I would prefer a different option over wood because of the maintenance required. If anyone has other ideas or if anyone knows the size of the old wheel please advise.

Comment

Mermaids update

Most of the "body work" has now been completed and this is what they look like as of last Friday April 20, in light gray primer. Sorry for the rope used to hold them in place while being worked on, but no good way to do so otherwise.

Still lots of structural repairs to do and need to construct steel platforms for them to sit on and to be used to bolt them down.

The short term plan though is for them to "oversee" the Steamboat Race from the IN shoreline on May 2 in as-is condition, and then go back to the shop for final repairs and finish paint.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pasty, to say the least

They look like they could use a little make-up and a tanning bed. That would improve their outlook, which is a little on the "poor me" side. Accessorize with Mardi Gras beads. Nothing like accessories to brighten up your day.

Comment

If you could find an appropriate-sized wheel and borrow it to make a mold, then you could form a new wheel out of fiberglass. The maintenance would then be the same as for the mermaids.
                              Just an Idea! (you make the mold out of latex, no damage to the borrowed wheel).
                              S'
                              David D.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X