Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Remnants Of The Sprague 2012

Hi Everyone,
    I live in Vicksburg and two weeks ago I went down to photograph the remains, as the foliage has mostly died out near the river front I was able to get pretty close to the stuff. I was hindered by vines and vegetation near the shaft and it remains as pictured here. The Smoke Stacks remain at the primary site with the other parts, they are tending to the weather very well in spite of their age, all appear to be solid, however they are laying on the ground and that will speed up their eventual demise. The area nearest the vast majority of the parts did flood with the Spring Flood of 2011. There are two other sites with the balance of the parts, one behind the Klondyke Trading Post, which is within short walking distance of the river front where the AQ will tie up on its visit to the city. The Klondyke owner told me that the parts have been on his property greater than 20 years, there is one complete and undamaged rudder there, what I believe to be the Pittman arm to the paddlewheel shaft, along with one bilge pump and some other things that came from the engine room.

The parts that are at the Klondyke are in very good shape, most still have a decent coat of red paint on them. I was told by David Day who owns the property that the reason the vast majority of parts have not scrapped are they are entirely too heavy to move. We discussed the parts by the river and he believes that it would take a crane and heavy duty house moving low boy trailers to do anything with the parts. The capstans are the only parts being utilized in the catfish row art park by the flood wall in which you can see if you travel aboard the AQ this spring.
    Attached Files

More Sprague Pictures

Here are some more pictures of The Sprague More To Come
    Attached Files

Comment

More Sprague Pictures 2012

Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague Pictures 2012

Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague Remains 2012

Attached Files

Comment

Sprague Fire 1974

Attached Files

Comment

Black And White Sprague

Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague At Work

Attached Files

Comment

Sprague Pictures

Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague In Better Times

Attached Files

Comment

Sprague Food

Entrees - I. Dixie No. 1 - Boneless Chicken on toast with Blanc Sauce, Baked Potato and Choice of Vegetable - II. Express No. 2 - Trout Amandine served with River Bends and choice of Vegetable - III. Belle of the West - Ribeye fillet as you like it served with Baked Potato or River Bends and Asparagus Spears - IV. Queen of the Coast - Stuffed Crab and Fried Chicken served with Hush-puppies/Oysters and our famous River Bends. All Dinners include Side Wheeler Biscuit and French Bread

*DESSERTS* Desert of the Day - Homemade Ice Cream, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, Coffee or Tea

A LA Carte - Shrimp Cocktail $1.50 - Oyster Cocktail -$1.25 - Jell Consomme $.75 - Salads $.75 - Potato Salad a la Salon $.75 - Gumbo cup $.95 - Oysters on the Half Shell (doz) $2.75, Jumbo Fried Shrimp, River Bends & Salad $2.75 - 10 oz. U.S. Choice Ribeye Steak & River Bends and Salad $5.50 - Lobster Tail & Steak w/River Bends & Salad $5.75 - Shrimp Salad Deluxe $3.50 - Fruit Plate Dinner $2.75 - Fried Chicken with River Bends & Salad $3.50 - Crab Meat Au Gratin with River Bends, Salad and Vegatable $4.25

.Shrimp E Touffe & Salad $3.95 - VEGETABLES - Asparagus Spears .60 - Squash Amandine .60 Broccoli with Hollandaise Sauce .60 DESSERTS - Dessert of the Day .75 Home Made Ice Cream .50 and Pineapple Upside Down Cake .75
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gary Pruitt; 01-22-2012, 01:08 AM. Reason: Added Title

Comment

Sprague Images

Thats all for now. Hope some of these images are new to some of you.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sprague History

Found a few interesting things
                          Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague

Found some more info on The Sprague
                            Attached Files

Comment

The Sprague In The After Life

Here are some shots of the salvaged items that have been re-purposed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X