No announcement yet.

Its happened: MQ stuff shows up on EBAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Burch I spoke with the seller and holder of the statues last night. It was very hard to get a handle on what they have, and how they acquired them. I am now told though that they have reunited both girls and would prefer to sell them as a pair. I asked and was told that the "wheel" is gone.

I was told that they offered this to the museum in exchange for a for a tax deduction certificate and now they are trying to sell them. I am told that condition on one is fair and the other is poor, now having some cracks in the tail, with one of the two having a missing finger. They believe that the construction material is fiberglass but not sure. Either way it sounds like they would need quite a bit of restoration.

The asking price for the pair is $7500.00 and they would prefer to deliver them for a fee. They stated that they are fragile and it would be difficult and expensive to ship them.

They mentioned that the bell was supposed to go to the museum but did not know the status. They also mentioned that they knew the where-a-bouts of the whistle. They also have some sections of handrail and went on to add that the caliope was destroyed along with pretty much everything else. The girl listing the ebay add claims to have a number of pictures that might be worth pursueing?

I am still trying to work a deal to purchase but don't know that it will happen. My guess is that they will end up in somebody's camp or bar and eventually disapear. The reality of what they are really worth and how much of an audience there really is Vs what they want to sell them for ar ecompeting issues.

Will keep you posted on any progress.

Comment

Mermaids? OMG!!

Honestly, I don't know what the hoopla about those mermaids is all about. To my taste, they never belonged on a Western Rivers steamboat. Maybe they'd do well on a cruise ship, but they are a big NO-NO on a steamboat! I applaud the Howard Museum (Keith?) for their lack of interest in them, as they do not represent true steamboatiana, nor do they represent the true style of American steamboating. I say, "BYE, bye mermaids!"

-Denny Hamilton-

Comment

Mermaids

The reason I started this thread was because these were a part of the MQ, not considering whether they were a proper steamboating tradition or not. THAT was the big whoop de doo for me, to see MQ items appearing for profit. They indeed do not fit into the Howard style and Keith refused them accordingly - plus the owner wanted him to determine their value, which the museum cannot do. I'm sure I've got stuff in my collection which pleases me but which would cause others to scratch their heads... to each their own!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Hamilton View Post
          Honestly, I don't know what the hoopla about those mermaids is all about. To my taste, they never belonged on a Western Rivers steamboat. Maybe they'd do well on a cruise ship, but they are a big NO-NO on a steamboat! I applaud the Howard Museum (Keith?) for their lack of interest in them, as they do not represent true steamboatiana, nor do they represent the true style of American steamboating. I say, "BYE, bye mermaids!"

-Denny Hamilton-
          Mark Twain said, "It's a difference of opinion that makes a horse race." I have always liked LeVerne and Shirley holding sway up by the MQ's calliope. I think they were best when they were young and painted to look like bronze statues. Now, if you want something that I have always held in disdain, all that garrish circus stuff around the DQ's calliope. That stuff appeared in 1971, and never should have been put on a tourist boat like the DQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Hamilton View Post

-Denny Hamilton-

I know that there was controversy over the bare busted girls, but still they were a part of history and what made the MQ what it was. it would be nice to see them reunited and continue to look over the river for generations to come(my personal opinion).

As mentioned in my earlier reply above, I realize that not everyone liked the ladies, or even the boat itself.

I considered this forum to also be about history and the knowledge gained by several folks that want to share with others. With that in mind, I thought I would share what I had learned about the fate of the statues. Somewhere, somebody will want them, or at least want to know what became of them.

Comment

Mermaid wheel

Travis, the Wheel between the Mermaids disappeared while at the Harvey canal. The mermaids were the first thing I asked about when I went there to save what I could, but the then owner's rep said no. "They could sell those to some bar or restaurant in NOLA." though he still gave me access to gather other things. On one of 5 times I went, the wheel was missing. And of course they didn't do anything with the mermaids and they ended up at Pierre Part. I contacted the yard owner's son ( who seemed frustrated with the attention) said what others here have, that he would set up some kind of auction. And look what happened Just like I knew it would. While at harvey the thought crossed my mind to "Liberate them" but I didn't want to jeopardize the permission I did have to save what I could. Plus, I loved the gal but not enough to go to Jail! LOL. Its just sad when you what's going to happen and can't do anything about it. I also contacted the seller by ebay about the other mermaid but got no response. Besides, I'm not sure i'd want one without the other.

Comment

Mermaid Wheel

No, the mermaids wheel disappeared at the Harvey canal. I saw it with my own eyes. One trip there , it was there. My next trip, it wasn't.

Comment

Yes, it's a shame they didn't sell the stuff to people who wanted it before the dismantling. Not only would MQ parts have been valued mementos, but they would have been working parts on the NATCHEZ (searchlight, reels, for instance). I imagine the owner figured he could get better prices, but probably ended up with nothing in many cases.

Comment

[/I]I would like to know about the whistle to see if it is for sale or not

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X