Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a June 30 or July 7, 1945 Waterways Journal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a June 30 or July 7, 1945 Waterways Journal?

According to a letter that I found at the Minnesota Historical Society dated June 26, 1945 from Donald T. Wright, editor of the Waterways Journal, to A.D. Strong, secretary of the Upper Mississippi Waterway Association, a story on the June 1945 Upper Mississippi River Inspection on the Str. Penniman (nee Mamie S. Barrett) was supposed to have been run in either the June 30 or July 7, 1945 issue of the Waterways Journal. Does anybody have a copy of these issues that they could do a lookup?

Also, Frank Bauman was a Photographer and Writer for LOOK Magazine who was on the Penniman during the UMR Inspection. As of July 6, 1945, in a letter from Bauman, the story had not yet been scheduled. Does anybody have an idea when or if Bauman's story actually ran?

Jeff,
    I have a large collection of Waterways Journals, but I think they span 1930 to 1941, then skip to 1948. I will double-check to see if I have any 1945 issues. You can try emailing the Waterways Journal editor and ask if he can look it up for you, and send you a copy of the article as a PDF file. That has worked for me in the past. You can find contact info on their web site: The Waterways Journal - Your Inland River Guide & Inland River Record Source!

Comment

*RE: WJ & LOOK Archives*
      Hi, Jeff & Steamboating colleagues:
      Just catching up on .org postings here and read your appeal RE: WJ with reference to LOOK Magazine. Steve Huffman has focused in for you with the above access to WATERWAYS JOURNAL.

Go on your computer/internet search engine and type in: LOOK Magazine, archives, 1945 and hit 'GO.' Many references on the numbered threads pop up for LOOK with dates. Hope this helps. Keith Norrington's keen eyes and memory may also know more.

R. Dale Flick
      Summer: northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan now VERY cool and windy.

Comment

Jeff,
        I looked and I don't have any 1945 issues. Contacting the WJ editor might be your best bet.

Comment

The Waterways Journal is also on microfilm at the Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library of the St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. The new curator is Mr. Sean Visintainer. Their website can be accessed at Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library:

I just checked here at the museum and we don't have that issue of the WJ. I'll also look in my home archives.

Many back issues of LOOK are often available on EBAY.

Good luck Jeff!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X