MISSISSIPPI QUEEN August 2, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MQ hull and machinery

Philip: the guard told us they were going to cut up the machinery and the hull right there too. I'm wondering if there are filled barges fleeted downriver awaiting transport to Morgan City to be loaded into a ship. I also wonder why there was so much debris on the land, why it wasn't immediately dumped into the hopper barge as was the section we saw Tuesday. My guess is they have to remove nonmetal stuff like insulation, maybe. Doc thinks they will cut the hull off as close to the waterline as possible and then cut the rest up. She is almost out of the water on the bow and is drawing 6 ft. at the stern right now. I would think the weight of the hull steel would be worth the scrap value....

Comment

Paul,

I never used the crew mess laundry cause "the ghetto laundry" was so much better. That is if you could sit there and babysit it. Cause, if you didn't someone would take your clothes out and throw them on the floor every time! Of course, the trip into "the ghetto" could be half the fun of laundry in and of itself!

Travis

Comment

Judy,

These pictures are a little disturbing...to see her in parts, like a puzzle. The calliope just sitting on the dirt...words can't express! Seeing the dining room bulkheads upside down in piles on the ground. Its like she has gone to Alang, in India where they break up ships...only closer.

All I can say is these pictures are proof of what you have been saying all summer. Support the boats we have left as much as you can. Because we can't afford any more pictures like this folks!

Too many boats have gone this way recently. PRESIDENT, ADMIRAL, BECKY THATCHER, MARY WOODS #2....enough already...lets get out there and keep the rest alive!

Travis

Comment

Speaking of the PRESIDENT vs the MQ, am I the only one who thought that the pictures of teh MQ parts lying around looked a lot like the PRESIDENT in St. Elmo, IL?

Comment

Judy, thank you for these pictures, difficult though it is to view them. What really gets to me are the ones with Doc in them - long time river captain surveying the demise of one of the great vessels that was once under his command. One can only imagine the thoughts going through this captain's mind, and how deeply they represent those of so many whose lives were affected in big and small ways by the Magnificent Mississippi Queen...

Comment

viewing the MQ at Argosy

We were both shocked when we first spotted it, as we were expecting so much more superstructure to be left. I can't speak for Doc, but to me looking at the floating remains seemed to be looking at a wharfboat, and wasn't particularly emotional. But when we started walking along the yard outside the fence, and spotted sections of dining room bulkheads, stairwells, the observation area forward of the pilothouse, the calliope... that was gutwrenching. And then to see the final piece of the cabin deck pulied up and dumped into the hopper barge, well that was reality that our MQ is no more - physically. But she'll remain in our souls and in the written history of the river. I count myself lucky to have known her and her heart and soul, the crew.

Comment

SO sad indeed, lots of good times there

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Reynolds View Post
                  Speaking of the PRESIDENT vs the MQ, am I the only one who thought that the pictures of teh MQ parts lying around looked a lot like the PRESIDENT in St. Elmo, IL?
                  I talked with Ken Buel yesterday afternoon, and he told me that the PRESIDENT's parts have been moved to a field behind a printing business that the owner has in Effingham, Illinois. I understand that Ken's photos will be fodder for a certain highly regarded river history quarterly editor's mill.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                  Working...
                  X