MISSISSIPPI QUEEN August 2, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MISSISSIPPI QUEEN August 2, 2011

Here are pictures I took today when Doc and I drove over to Belle River (both the river and town) to see the MQ. We were shocked to see how much has happened since the apparent stoppage last month. I've included a handdrawn map of the lay of the land. i will annotate later, just want to get the pix posted. They are going to scrap the machinery and hull there on the spot too.
    Attached Files

MQ2

more from across Belle River.............
    Attached Files

Comment

MQ3

from the Argosy Boat Co. yard. I've drawn a rough layout of the area - Morgan City is about 15 miles to the south (top of my drawing)
      Attached Files

Comment

MQ4

more in the boatyard.................
        Attached Files

Comment

MQ5

cutup sections, including stairways, in yard.......
          Attached Files

Comment

MQ6 calliope and mermaids

The calliope manifold is there, and I even saw a blue light bulb which helped create the 'aurora effect'. The mermaids have their backs to the destruction going on...
            Attached Files

Comment

MQ

Thanks for posting the latest pictures, so sad to see she is almost non-existent.

Comment

Thanks for the MQ pictures, Judy. It's sickening to see what's being done to her. It must be much worse to actually be there. Glad Doc was able to go with you - tell him 'hi' and a belated 'Happy Birthday'.

Comment

MQ7 the finale, potpourri

If you look back at the first pix from across the river, you'll see one section of the Cabin Deck was left midship. I think it was the service room that had an ice machine and maybe a washer and dryer and linen storage. While we were there, they used the cutting torches and lifted it up by crane and dumped it into the waiting hopper barge. Now the only thing left above the main deck is a section of the Paddlewheel Bar bulkhead. We saw several workers aboard, some wearing hazmat suits, others in tshirts and jeans. One guy came out of the Engine Room and hosed himself off on the barge. The guard with whom we spoke was proud that he was able to get a couple of nonmetal parts as souvenirs and when I told him that Doc had been Captain on the MQ, that really got him talking. He even went and got a postcard of the MQ and had Doc autograph it... I took pix with 2 cameras and it appears that all of the images didn't load. Hopefully though this is enough for now to understand the 'progress' of the act. If anyone wants to see her remains, I'd suggest hustling down to Belle River very soon... I know these will be my final images of the Magnificent, but Misfortunate, MISSISSIPPI QUEEN... R.I.P.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Increasingly, it seems like .org needs a Dislike button... *sigh*

Comment

Thank You

Many thanks for the pictures you've shared with all of us. Sad, sad day indeed. Hoping the mermaids and calliope manifold are saved but I doubt very seriously that they will be. Last picture ever taken of me on the MQ was in front of those two ladies with my grandparents in July 2006 in Marietta, OH. Never dreamed that would be the last time I would ever set foot or see her again. *sigh* Why this country trashes its history instead of saving it, I'll never know!

Comment

More calliope pix

I found the 'lost' photos. Here are closeups of the calliope remains.
                        Sorry, but I got a Fehler 500 notice. I know, Franz, you'll tell me these are too large. I don't have Picasa and I don't know why these are bigger than all the others. So... maybe later, anyway the valves are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                          If you look back at the first pix from across the river, you'll see one section of the Cabin Deck was left midship. I think it was the service room that had an ice machine and maybe a washer and dryer and linen storage..
                          Knew that room well. An acquired survival skill on the MQ was timing your use of the washer/dryer so you could get your wash done without getting in a passenger's way. The dryers below in the crew mess didn't really "dry".

Paul

Comment

Judy, Did anyone imply if they were scrapping the entire boat or if her hull would be saved as a barge or something? In the winter of 2006 she had a considerable amount of hull work done while in drydock at Mobile before being dumped off at Perry St. I have pictures of some of it. What a shame to lose this boat.

Comment

Taylor: THe Inland Waterways Festival will be held at Marietta starting Aug 4. Steam launch MISS BLUE will be headed that way at 9 am tomorrow. I think that Aaron Richardson and John Fryant will be there and I, first mate Miss Carol and brother John will be there and look forward to seeing some more of .orgers. Cap'n Walnut.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X