No announcement yet.

Delta King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! Mr. Hamilton, Those are certainly some GREAT shots!!!!

Loved them!

Comment

*RE: DQ Portholes Etc.*
      Steamboating colleagues:
      Great topic along with incredible photos. Thanks to all. A number of us recall the DQ ports in earlier years before they were 'sealed/removed' whatever. I recall them open with interior light visible. Closed with glass other times. I 'think' each boat was equipped with eight ports. But my point is this. In the detailed shipping manifests from DENNY BROS., Dumbarton, Scotland for shipment by freighter of the DK/DQ all components were listed in minute detail down even to the kind of shipping containers--even rivets, nuts, bolts, beams. Among all listed are the portholes from DENNY. DENNY was one huge yard at that time and well before. They had the capacity to cast/mill ports but they also could have been from a supplier to the job under contract. I'm miles away from my files/papers and will sleuth out at summer's end. MIT did extensive porthole water experiments years before the DK/DQ were but a dream finding that one 18 inch port can inject some three tons of water per minuted submerged three feet under the surface. Food for thought.

There also exists several fuzzy photos taken by the insurance adjusters when the hull of the DK was 'cracked' on the ways at DENNY. It was repaired with all taken apart, numbered before shipping to California. At the time the DELTA KING was regarded as the flagship for 'California Transportation Co.' Capt. Anderson and the company were faced with certain "financial issues" before the work on the DQ was finished. They floated bonds to investors with DENNY sending a carefully worded communication stating they would "...carry the DELTA QUEEN on our books at a minimum % rate until your affairs are stronger." Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick

Comment

Great porthole shots! I think there were more than 8. Would like to know for sure.

Comment

*RE: How many ports?*
          Hi, Lexie & Steamboating colleagues:
          I agree there were possibly more than eight ports on the boats as discussed. I'll check my old 1925/'26 architectural drawings of the boats with the notations by Jim Burns when I return home. Jim's papers I have also include extensive letters and Atlantic cable messages to DENNY BROS., Dumbarton, Scotland. Jim's messages--and return answers by Maurice Denny--were pretty cryptic with no waste of words as they knew exactly what was needed and how to do it. Burns had 'apprenticed' with DENNY years before and was well remembered in various letter/cable statements by the Denny family. As stated in previous .org postings, Burns 'hinted' at the observing eyes of the then U.S. Steamboat Inspection officers here looking over his shoulder constantly. This included the work by EVANS in San Francisco who did the mounting/finishing of the engines for the boats using "components from DENNY." As Alan Bates has stated a boat changed in various ways often from year to year. The subtle comments from DENNY RE: California Transportation Co. financial problems finishing the DQ are more than obvious; yet no doubt the two would be completed as planned.

The prominent 'deck house' on the bow of the boats were built to house male passengers with a bunk compartment below deck at rock bottom low prices not including meals. I'm sure [I 'think'] the lower deck housing also had ports for ventilation and light. Records of registration for the boats on file at London's Greenwich Maritime Museum state the boats were for "ferry service" not using the conventional term "packet" we know as they carried autos and other vehicles. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
          Summer: Northern shors of huge Lake Michigan

Comment

Windows

I just came across the S&D Reflector March, 1986 Vol. 23, No. 1 issue. It contains an extensive article of the restoration of the King. Page 5 tells us that part of the resto included the repair of 56 hull cutouts (window openings cut into the hull, not original.) This work was done at Pacific Dry Dock, Oakland, Calif. June and July of 84'.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X