Howard Collection Now On Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard Collection Now On Line

The first phase of the Howard Collection is now on line. Approximately 750 out of 1765 images are now available for viewing. This first phase is exclusively of Howard built boats, photos taken by Capt. Jim Howard. Please look them over and the the boats' histories and let me know of any mistakes you might find. The next phase will be photos of the Howard family and the final phase will be shipyard scenes.
    go to:
    http://www.digital.library.louisvill...lection/howard
    For some reason when I entered the web address, it changed and didn't come-up correctly. Try hand typing: digital.library.louisville.edu/collections/howard
    (I just tried copying and pasting the above address and it worked perfectly)

Excellent job Jim!!

Here is the link that worked for me:
    Digital Collections : Howard Steamboat Museum Collection

Comment

Jim,

Hats off to you and to anyone else who worked on this project at HSM. This is truly a monumental undertaking, and one that steamboat lovers and researchers will thank you for doing decades into the future! I had the good fortune to view some of these magnificent images last spring, and was simply spellbound at the clarity, detail, and composition of the photos. This stellar collection is right up there alongside those of the Cincinnati Library and La Crosse's Murphy Library in quality. Plus, many of the images have the special pedigree of being the work of Capt. Jim Howard himself, no slouch when it came to pitcher-takin'. Thanks again for this major contribution to Western Rivers steamboat history.

Comment

Jim, thanks for your tireless work on this project! I'll be utilizing this new resource for my research, as photographic evidence speaks volumes over written assertions. So far, the list of confirmed vessels (packets, towboats, ferries, showboats, etc.) carrying a calliope is at 151, with the number of possible candidates at 232. Let's see if we can't revise those numbers somewhat!

Comment

Kudos to Jimmy Reising!

Indeed, Jimmy deserves not only a long whistle salute, but a set of gilded antlers for his diligent, excellent work with the Howard negatives. Many might not be aware that this collection nearly met oblivion on the night of March 17, 1971 when the Howard Steamboat Museum burned. In a race against time, a quick thinking and dedicated group of volunteers (some were crew members from the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE) converged on the scene and the glass plate negatives were removed from the fire ravaged mansion.

In the basement of the Jeffersonville Public Library and under the direction of Mr. Lin Caufield (a professional photographer and member of the BELLE operating board) the glass plates were carefully washed in special chemicals and placed in new envelopes, preserving the images for posterity. They now safely reside at the University of Louisville, but are still owned by the museum. The slotted cabinet in which they were filed in Capt. Jim Howard's darkroom is on view in the hallway of the mansion's third floor.

MANY THANKS to Jim for all his wonderful work with this very important collection, which answers many questions about steamboat construction at the Howard yards, the Howard family, the mansion, and all sorts of other fascinating pictures from life at that time. Jimmy is truly our "photo magician" and his efforts are greatly appreciated by all at the museum. I'm sure Capt. Jim and Loretta Howard are smiling down with gratitude as well!

Comment

a 'retired' Reising???

Obviously Jim has been putting his retirement time to a great use. My thanks to him too, but I can't see Jim wearing gilded antlers, Keith...

Comment

What a great way to spend many future evenings! Jim, your work on this is highly appreciated. Also, thanks for making the photos expandable so we can really study them in detail. A really fine web site!
              -Jim Herron

Comment

It's already helpful

Jim: This is wonderful work! It's already helpful in the preservation efforts of the Mamie S. Barrett. I was asked by one of the three shipyards that I'm dealing with to provide photos that would be useful in the reconstruction. I just sent this one off, which will help a great deal in seeing her in her "unfinished form" from 1922. Thanks again - this photo alone will have a positive impact on steamboat preservation efforts. If there are any other photos of the Mamie in the collection, please let me know.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X