Star light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star light

In 2005 The Chattanooga Star retired, In 2007, I made her my home. Yesterday, saw the beginning of a new remodeling effort.
    Damage was limited to the interior being gutted, I believe. I have not been back on board yet. However being an all steel boat with all the real stuff in the hull, I am confident that that it is far from a total loss. I firmly believe that in the not too distant future, this little sidewheeler will rise from the ashes.
    Attached Files

Star fire

So sorry to see that Mike. You were so gracious to host our Midwest Riverboat Buffs on that Friday night in Paducah, back in '05, I think? We had a wonderful trip up the Tennessee on a beautiful evening. You were in the midst of a month -long Paducah stay to run educational programs for the schools. That boat has earned a good retirement and I hope you can resurrect her. Best wishes.

Comment

My sympathy to you, Mike, and best wishes in restoring your fine boat. You, your brother and that dandy sidewheeler have certainly done a LOT to promote river history and to create educational awareness as to the importance of our waterways. Thank you! I will always have fond memories of your late mother and her gracious hospitality to my parents and me aboard the Str. MAMIE S. BARRETT at Vicksburg in 1988. Take care!

Comment

Capt. Hosemann,

Your little side-wheeler is such a beauty, she can't help but rise like Phoenix from the ashes and survive! I remember visiting aboard in Paducah several years ago when I was on the DQ. Seeing her at Tall Stacks back a few years, too, I fell for her spell watching those sidewheels churn up the brown water. Best of luck to you and looking forward to seeing her back on the Tennessee where she belongs!

Travis

Comment

Captain, let me add my encouragement. We enjoy seeing the STAR tied up when in Chattanooga and taking the SOUTHERN BELLE or the RIVER GORGE EXPLORER down river on our sightseeing cruises. I too was on her when in Paducah with the Midwest Riverboat Buffs.

Comment

Several Years Back...

Originally posted by Mike Hosemann View Post
            In 2005 The Chattanooga Star retired, In 2007, I made her my home. Yesterday, saw the beginning of a new remodeling effort.
            Damage was limited to the interior being gutted, I believe. I have not been back on board yet. However being an all steel boat with all the real stuff in the hull, I am confident that that it is far from a total loss. I firmly believe that in the not too distant future, this little sidewheeler will rise from the ashes.
            Very sorry to hear of this fire! Several years ago, I believe it was 2002 or 2003, I had the priviledge of riding the Chattanooga Star with my best friend from Powhatan Pt, OH to Fly, OH. The river stage was still up as we had just crested inches below flood stage a few days before. I read in the paper that the CS was taking on passengers in Powhatan for a three hour trip to Fly. When it came time to board, my friend and I were the only two aboard! I think most people believed the trip was canceled due to the water levels so we were the only two passengers taken. Couldn't have been better for two young teenagers! For most of the way, the CS had to dodge countless logs, trees, and other debris in the river from the previous week's washout. Locking through Hannibal, OH was a chore as huge amounts of debris had gathered on the upper side and a considerable amount had worked its way into the chamber. Some careful maneuvering and we were out of the chamber, southbound for Fly. Just as the sun was setting, we nosed into a muddy bank at Fly. The first attempt failed but the second try was a success. I believe the Sisterville Ferry had unusually been tied up on the Ohio side that evening due to an issue on the WV side from the flooding so the CS had no choice but to nose into a muddy bank, at which time my friend and I lept off the stage. For two young teenagers, this trip was a blast and one I'll never forget. I thank you very much for letting us tag along with you!

Comment

News Footage

Here's a link to Chattanooga's WRCB NBC news affiliate:

Houseboat fire deemed "suspicious" - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X