Any pictures or reports on the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pictures or reports on the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN

Do our previous photo contributors have any progress photos of the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN at the shipyard in Pierre Part? Its been over a week since our sternline telegraph fed us any news on the MQ. I guess we've found a place isolated enough for even our vast network to cover!

Judy,

I have been thinking the same exact thing. Something tells me one of us is gonna have to make a pilgrimage to find anything out. Eventually, something HAS to come out. You can't hide a boat that big...unless she isn't that big anymore.

Travis

Comment

My guess is that nothing has been done since the law suit was filed. I'd put money that the plaintiffs' attorney asked and was granted a stop work order when the case was filed, but that is just my guess.
      Last edited by Frank X. Prudent; 04-18-2011, 12:30 AM. Reason: correct syntax

Comment

And if that's the case...

she'll be tying up yet another docking space without paying, and could get kicked out of there! That artificial reef to preserve Louisiana's coastline is looking more feasible each day!

Comment

MQ at Belle River

I received 2 photos from an anonymous source - really, I don't know who it is - which show the MQ from across the waterway. The railings, a/c units, and other stuff on the roof appear to be gone, as is the port smokestack - but the mermaids remain on watch!
          Attached Files

Comment

Judy,

It does look like the Pilothouse windows are gone. I can't see too well around stateroom 401...but something seems amiss up there. The port stack could be laid down at this angle....but, I suspect you are right there as well. Sad as it is...please thank your correspondent and ask they keep them coming.

Travis

Comment

The gaudy sheet metal gingerbread is off of the pilothouse roof. Also it looks as if the storage shed and the original "ice cream bar" is off of the roof along with all of the railings. The flag poles are gone too.

Comment

Wingbridge gone too

I think the wingbridge is gone too, which is part of the altered view up front. In the pictures that Franz posted when she was first at Argosy, there was a crane reaching the roof, so it is very possible all the roof stuff is gone, and most likely the port side next to the dock has had more work done to it.

Comment

Another MQ pix

Here's another picture from our mystery correspondent. Doesn't look like anything has been done below the roof level - the pilothouse isn't visible, but that is normal.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pictures I can't look at

I really appreciate Judy posting these pictures of the Mississippi Queen. There is a part of me that has trouble looking at them. The thought of the MQ returning to the United States from China as a bean can or bumper of a car. I trully have had dreams of the Julia Belle Swain and the Delta Queen meeting the same fate. It is like watching a California beach house slipping off a side of a hill into the ocean in a storm. I still hold out hope for the JBS, DQ and American Queen to get rolling again. On second thought, I will look at these pictures of the MQ, it is a warning of what might be...

Mark

Comment

Has the MQ's roof bell found its way to the Howard Museum yet?

Comment

MQ in WJ

The April 4th issue of The Waterways Journal has a color photo of the MQ, under a caption reading, MQ Heads for Scrap Yard. The photo is attributed to Tom Waller and is a close up view of the doomed steamboat being towed by the M/V TIGER PRIDE with the CROSBY RENEGADE as a tail boat.

Comment

Frank, as of yesterday, the MQ bell is still destined for the museum. With all of the recent rumors that the boat might run again, it was decided to wait and see the outcome before hauling the bell (which weighs 998 pounds) to Jeffersonville from Louisiana. We all agreed that if the MQ was to run again, the bell should remain on the boat.

Construction will begin soon on a replica pilothouse (near the DQ wheel shaft) in the museum yard and current plans are for the bell to be mounted close to it.

Stay tuned for further news!

Comment

The queen is dying a slow death

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                            Do our previous photo contributors have any progress photos of the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN at the shipyard in Pierre Part? Its been over a week since our sternline telegraph fed us any news on the MQ. I guess we've found a place isolated enough for even our vast network to cover!
                            I took pictures today of the Mississippi Queen. The mermaids came off of her yesterday I was told. She looks so sad...will post the pics later

Comment

MQ pix

Thanks Tom. I'm surprised the mermaids lasted this long. Someone had removed the pilot wheel they were holding, probably at the Harvey Canal site.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X