Cabin Fever 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin Fever 2011

Running model of the Delta Queen engine was on display at the 2011 Cabin Fever Expo in York, PA

YouTube - Delta Queen Engine

Video from Internet. Photo taken Jan 16, 2011

ENJOY!
    Attached Files

Pete: Dandy model but it looks to me like a simple set of engines (like mebbe BOL) unlike the set in DQ which is a compound set (starboard engine 26"; port engine 52" x 10') Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Schiffer View Post
      Pete: Dandy model but it looks to me like a simple set of engines (like mebbe BOL) unlike the set in DQ which are a compound set (starboard engine 26"; port engine 52" x 10') Cap'n Walnut
      I agree Tom, and if you look close you can see the reversing mechanism is very similar to that on a Rees & Son's engine like on the BoL, however the eccentrics are a simplified version of those on the DQ. A very nice model indeed, but I think the fact it is a horizontal steam engine is about where the similarities end with the DQ.

Comment

Pete, thats a neat engine, but I agree, its not a model of the DQ engine. New subject: what is the status of that big Clermont model you posted sometime ago?

Comment

Philip: Yes, the ship-up jack looks very similar to BOL but the cams for the poppit valves seem a bit different than the Reese & Sons? Again, I say it IS a splendid model. Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Thanks all! What can I say? I know nothing about the DQ. I took the name tag as being accurate. Now I know little bit more...

Comment

North River Model Status

John,

Thanks for asking. We are running a year or so behind at this point. I learned that a project of this undertaking is difficult to put a completion date on. We're working as a group of 6 volunteers living in 4 different states. None of us knew each other before the start of the project. Since starting 2 members had to drop out, one to a professional commitment the for health reasons.

We lost the original set of paddlewheel parts to a flood. The volunteer, in addition, lost $75K worth of his collections. The volunteer working on the engine & hull had equipment failure which took a few weeks to repair. All in all we have overcome a few obstacles.

New York state also ran into problems with budgets, schedules etc. I am happy to say that a new presentation date is scheduled for weekend of May 14, 2011. The State assures us that they will be ready. We are optimistic that we will be also.

The decking and starboard hull planking have th be added. A few minor plumbing details have to be added to the engine. We also want to run test the DC drive motor for reliability. We have found that most of these little motors are made in China and aren't of high quality. The nylon gears in the gearhead are nylon. We are looking for equivalents with metal gears.

I hope that this answers your question John. If you or anyone else would like more info please contact me via E-mail.

I have posted photos a few days earlier at. "Another public demo of the FULTON Engine Project". It shows the model at Cabin Fever 2011
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Johnson View Post
                I agree Tom, and if you look close you can see the reversing mechanism is very similar to that on a Rees & Son's engine like on the BoL, however the eccentrics are a simplified version of those on the DQ. A very nice model indeed, but I think the fact it is a horizontal steam engine is about where the similarities end with the DQ.

Like the DQ, this cute little model has California cut-offs. The DQ has a Stevenson reversing link with two eccentrics running out to the cams on the shaft. This model only has one eccentric for each engine. Also there is a branch line to each of the model's engines from the throttle. If the model was cross compound there would only be one branch line to the high pressure cylinder. Nevertheless it's one fine piece of engineering!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X