Howard Steamboat Museum Christmas Open House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard Steamboat Museum Christmas Open House

The annual holiday open house at the Howard Steamboat Museum is this Sunday, December 12th, from 1:00 until 4:00 PM. Admission is free.

Santa and Mrs. Claus will be in the Library to visit with the little ones. Mandy Dick, portraying Laura Howard (wife of Capt. Edmonds Howard, builder of the mansion) will greet visitors and homemade goodies will be served in the dining room.

The gift shop is well stocked with all kinds of "steamboaty stocking stuffers", including a great selection of out of print river books.

For further information, please visit the museum website by clicking on Howard Steamboat Museum - Home Page.

Happy Holidays to ALL and MANY THANKS for your support of the museum and its programs. We look forward to seeing you!

"Curator Keith"

P.S. If you visit the museum don't be alarmed by the various rectangular holes being dug in the yard. We aren't looking for buried treasure or burying obnoxious visitors! This work is underway for the new geothermal system being installed to heat and cool the mansion. Things are gonna be a "mess" for a while!

Comment

Maybe you better look. In a yard that old, there might be some interesting artifacts.

Comment

Nice, way to go green (just add some red to that to make it really festive!)

Comment

Despite the wintry weather, we had a fair turnout for the Christmas open house. Many of our visitors today were young parents bringing little ones to visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus in the Library. I think this is the first year in many that, from my station in the steamboat exhibits on the "second deck", I haven't heard any "screams of terror" from some kiddies who didn't think having their picture taken with Santa was such a good idea! Sometimes they are still tearful and trembling when they come upstairs and I try to change their mood by letting them use a cool LED flashlight to look inside the big model of the Str. INDIANA which has the port side cut away to reveal the sidewheel, engine room and other minute details. This usually, but not always, has a calming effect!

Several members of the "river family" came by and it's always a pleasure to see and visit with them -- Today we had Keith Baylor with his children, Kathryn and Alex (who is featured on a museum website photo from a past Christmas event) and Capt. Pete, Evie and Kathleen O'Connell, who wants to do volunteer work at the museum, BLESS HER HEART! Thanks for coming!

By closing time, what little sunshine appeared today had rapidly faded, the snow was coming down harder by the minute, the frigid wind becoming more gusty and the temp dropping like an anchor. We cleaned up the dining room, turned off the Christmas tree lights, tallied the gift shop till and locked up the mansion. Another holiday open house was history! And to ALL a good night!

Now, to turn our thoughts to the new year fast approaching and upcoming museum events in warmer weather -- especially the 2011 Steamboat Bicentennial Celebration. Stay tuned for further bulletins!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY STEAMBOATING!

"Curator Keith"

Comment

Sounds like everyone hightailed it home. Wouldn't have been a good evening to dine at the Kingfish anyway. I enjoyed my bowl of chili this evening that had been simmering in the crock pot all day. And lots of leftovers for the cold temps in the coming days.

Comment

Thinking about our men on the river these nasty days and nights. Keep them safe.

Comment

Jo Ann: Yeah, when the party was over even ol' Santa and Mrs. Claus quickly got the heck outta Dodge! We certainly missed you today, as well as Travis and others who regularly attend but had other places to be. Thinking of our past dinners at Kingfish following the open house, it just wasn't in the cards for us this year. When I drove down Market Street and out to Riverside Drive, it was snowing so hard I could barely see the BELLE across the river. I, too, came home to a wonderful supper of HOT chili and fudge brownies. The wind is howling and the snow is blowing tonight as the temps continue to fall, but I'm thankful to be inside this nice warm house, under a steamboat afghan with a cup of hot tea. It don't git no better than this!

Indeed, we pray for the safety of those men and women who work on the river, especially in this horrid weather. Be careful out there!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X