S&D REFLECTOR is a Holiday Hit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&D REFLECTOR is a Holiday Hit!

On this very first day of December, it is cold, dark, dreary and the snowflakes are falling. However, the arrival of the mail greatly brightened the day with the December issue of the S&D REFLECTOR, the initial issue under the editorship of Dubuque's steamboat buff extraordinaire, David J. Tschiggfrie, ably assisted by son Jonathan.

Each page is loaded with wonderful photographs, many of them in color, and all sorts of steamboaty goodies. For those who haven't yet received their copy, I won't spoil the surprise by disclosing what it contains. But I can tell you that it's "just like Christmas morning" when you slide the magazine out of its envelope!

Hearty congratulations and THANKS to Dave for a FABULOUS first issue! I am sure that Capt. Fred Way is smiling down from Heaven with a twinkle in his eye and saying, with much appreciation, "Well All Right!"

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Amen!

Tuesday Nov. 30 I looked out on the porch and saw THE envelope and needless to say, the evening was taken care of reading and rereading from cover to cover. As Keith points out the quality, let me add the tremendous effort Tsch. & Tsch. made in a matter of six weeks from accepting the editorship to getting it to Richardsons. Not only did Dave start from scratch materialwise, but also technologically. Prof. Jonathan did a fine job of teaching up ol' dad, who did an equally fine job of absorbing the instruction. Now that the December 2010 issue is in hand, its only a three month wait until the March 2011 issue! (and yes, we know 'Joe's' should read 'Roy's').

Comment

Wait not over

Did you all have special dispensation? I haven't gotten mine as yet. Maybe the pony express got buried in an avalanche.

Comment

Yeah, the river's been rising below New Albany, guess that's why I don't have mine yet either.

Comment

The December issue of your REFLECTOR was mailed last Thursday by Richardson Printing. As of this afternoon, I've heard from readers in New Orleans and in Cincinnati that they have received their copy. If it's any consolation, even your editor hasn't received his yet via mail, although I do have a general idea of what's between the covers. Guess that all these holiday greetings being sent the old fashioned way have caused the Mail Packet to run on a slow bell. Just passing along what I've heard. Please don't shoot the messenger! Hope you won't be disappointed when the envelope arrives at your landing.

Comment

Received here in the Cities today, December 9.

Comment

The way the US mail works
              years ago at Christmas time I worked at a us post office terminal. And this is the way second class mail works. a bag of mail arrives at the dock for a certain route and then 50 more bag for the same route arrives bag one is at the bottom of the stack. the truck can only carry 30 bags to the given detestation. so 21 are left in the pile, the next day 15 more bags come for that detestation. 30 leave by 6 remain on the dock, this can go in for a week or two before number one is finally picked up and on it way.
              Sorry folks but that seems to be the way it still works. Some times my Waterways Journal gets to me in three days and the one mailed 2 or more weeks earlier takes another week. And that is why UPS and Fed Express gets more business. First class gets of the dock and on the truck every day without delay.
              ut Riverrat.

Comment

Ours received in small-town NE Arkansas (but I'm at work and haven't seen it yet) :-(

Comment

*Packet delivery of the REFLECTOR/Ole Laidley*
                  Hi, Carl & steamboating colleagues:
                  Carl, thanks for your personal insights on U.S. Mail delivery. In time I'll post on the old steamboat mail contracts years ago. There's an old saying, "The health of a nation shows in its mail delivery and trains running on time." The Pittsburgh packet arrived earlier here at the wharfboat with big bundles of December REFLECTORS stacked in the Purser Office for security. Some had been pulled out and read by crew, officers, passengers on the trip down. The local postal wagon drawn by horses pulled in to deliver up town with a flurry of wagons, private carriages--even guys on horse back with saddle bags--to pick up other long-anticipated copies. It was bedlam here on the wharfboat with Capt. Ellis Mace and I holding people at the freight desk asking for their copies.

Ole' Commodore Fred Laidley heard excited voices, came out with hand in his vest pocket jingling all his gold watch fobs. He saw my copy on the desk, picked it up and slammed his office door. Dead quiet until later when he strolled out,"Lookie heah' at this...and this...those S&Ders know how to write and that Tschiggfrie know' how to get it all 't'getha' as I see it." "Well, there goes your copy for days. Ole goat have it dog eared when he's finished," Ellis Mace mumbled across the office. Ole' Laidley even carried the REFLECTOR across to read while having lunch with the boys on the CITY OF LOUISVILLE. Later he come back holding my copy. "Ummm...errr...Dale, see heah,' yo' mind if I take it home for Mrs. Laidley and the children to read?" What could I say?

I looked down just nodding. "Ah, Commodore, you could get a subscription all your own if you wish. The address right inside and all." Laidley looked again caressing the pages. "Ohhh...ummm...could--if you run it through the company books for me. Y'all think I'm made of money?" With that he slammed his office door with us only getting a whif of his fancy Cuban cigar hearing him mumble low reading each and every word. Ole' Laidley can be like that. Cheers to all! Thanks for wonderful contributions and David's talent.

R. Dale Flick
                  Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

You had better watch out, Dale. Tschiggfrie will draft you to write some articles for the REFLECTOR.

Comment

*RE: REFLECTOR articles/Ole' Laidley*
                      Hi, Bob & steamboating colleagues:
                      I don't know about 'articles' but I know I've fed David T. a number of fine old 1st hand written accounts I unearthed in the Literary Club Archives that haven't seen the light of day in over a hundred years. David, as Editor, holds the proverbial 'blue pencil' in hand as Capt. Fred Way used to always say with a twinkle in his eyes at long ago S&D meetings. Again I'm thrilled with all the submissions that David included in the December issue--his first baptism. I just paid 'Richardson Printing' the bill for the issue today and not bad.

In fact, Ole' Commodore Fred Laidley read the recent REFLECTOR so long in his office he missed his afternoon card game at his fancy club up on 4th Street. The CITY OF LOUISVILLE just steamed out. Laidley, with my REFLECTOR in his battered old wool coat pocket, decided to walk the Suspension Bridge home for dinner. Ellis Mace and I still here with piles of freight bills on our desks. "Think you'll ever see your REFLECTOR again?" he mumbled. I just dipped my pen in the ink well and got back to balancing the books for the L&C LINE. Cheers! *PS> Oh, yes, either Ellis or I work weekends here at the wharfboat as business is business.

R. Dale Flick
                      Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Comment

The Howard Steamboat Museum's copy of the REFLECTOR arrived in today's mail delivery. Capt. Alan Bates was visiting with us and enjoying some lemon meringue pie in the office, but lamented that he has yet to receive his issue. With the problems of the postal service nowadays, it's anybody's guess when the magazine will be unloaded from a mail packet at the Louisville landing!

Good things come to those who wait -- and this issue of the S&D REFLECTOR is well worth waiting for!

Comment

Just got home for the day. Guess what was in my mail box? Yep, it's arrived. Had to check the internet, email, facebook, steamboats.org, but am heading to the recliner shortly - and with cat in lap can't wait to see what all the rave is about.

Comment

Got ours yesterday as well. It just barely beat a big snow. Looks good, Dave.

Comment

Thanks, Lexie. Still waiting here for my copy to arrive by mail. What with the huge snowfall, sub-zero temps and blizzard-like conditions of this weekend in the Upper Midwest, my December issue might arrive just days before the March 2011 one!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X