August River Exhibit in Marietta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August River Exhibit in Marietta

For the modelers, the whistle collectors, calliope players, historic boat owners etc. amongst us there are plans for a river exhibit in August in Marietta that sound like a lot of fun.

No mention yet for modelers and model collectors if they plan to fill the "pond" under the River museum for running r/c boats or not and I imagine the focus will be on whistles that have river history associated with them.

Hope to see some familiar faces there in August!

Aaron

From the S and D website

"NEWS FROM THE OHIO RIVER MUSEUM
    We here at the Ohio River Museum would like to extend the Sons & Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen this special invitation to play a significant part in the development and implementation of a new river festival planned for the museum next summer.

We need you! Slated for Saturday and Sunday August 6-7, 2011 on the grounds of the museum, the INLAND WATERWAYS FESTIVAL, promises to be the largest undertaking by the Friends of the Museums in Marietta since assuming management of the museums last fall. If successful, this initial event will become a major fundraiser for the museum annually. It will also honor and promote the importance of rivers in the development of the Nation.

We are looking for people who are willing to share their passion for our inland waterways with the public by helping us in bringing and displaying historic boats (both models and full-sized), assisting in a tent for the S&D, story-telling, and help in running games and other river-related activities. As of this writing we have scheduled the following activities:

on-going demonstrations, music, hands-on activities, tours, boat displays, all examining 200 plus years of inland waterways history; exploration of all aspects of river transportation from dug-out canoes (we will be working on one) to diesel powered towboats that will be docked near the museum for the event; interaction with many historical characters who lived and traveled the inland waterways through first person story-tellers; a major focus on the connection between the Ohio River and France through French-Canadian music, food and historical exhibits. celebration of the Bicentennial of the New-Orleans, the first steamboat (1811) to travel the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers; calliope and steamboat whistles, flatboats, and historic craft on the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers. encampments of river pirates and “voyageurs” . displays, lectures, demonstrations on the inland waterways today, including environmental changes, fish, mussels, and wildlife.

If you are a “behind the scenes” person or someone who is willing to be actively involved during the festival (supervise an event, be a first person re-enactor or recommend someone who is, etc.) or be on a committee, give us a call. If you can Contact Glenna Hoff at 740-373-3750 or email: ghoff@campusmartiusmuseum.org."

They are planning to have the pond filled and to have boat models performing there. I think I'm sort of the "coordinator" for this part of the event. If anyone has a static or RC operating riverboat model of any type or even a non-riverboat model and wants to partiucipate please let me know. I need to know how many boats, size of each and whether they are operating or non operating. More details to come.

Comment

Hi John,

As of right now I plan to be there with 3 or 4 models, 3 R/C and one static. A working model of my boat as she appears now and a static of how originally built, a model of Ward's WILD GOOSE and if I can talk my Dad into it, his model of the LADY LOIS. The largest of these being the GOOSE at around 36", the rest are smaller.

Might I also suggest a night run for models with working lights?

Keep me posted John, really looking forward to this!

Aaron

Comment

Will do AJ. I don't kmow about any night runs, as the daily hours end at 4:00PM. However, there's enough shade under that building for lights to be visible in the daytime.

Comment

I have a radio controled replica of the 1811 New Orleans that will be ready by that time. I was wondering if anyone can participate or is this an invitation only function?

Comment

Paging Captain Walnut

Hi All,

In reviewing the application for the Inland Waterways Festival planned in Marietta in August I noticed "steam launches" as part of the planned venue. Wanted to alert our very own Captain Walnut, if he was not already aware, so he and his fine collection of launches could hopefully plan to attend. Maybe he could even invite some of his other launch friends. Me and the fam would like a ride in one or maybe both of the Miss's if you plan on attending.

August weather sounds pretty good right now! Hope to see a bunch of .orgers there.

Aaron

Comment

Thanks, Aaron: Have launches...will travel but have heard NOTHING definate so far from ANYONE. As stated at the meeting last month, my first allegience is to Boone County, Kentucky (Bridget Striker, Local History Coordinator) where I live but nothing is set there so far either. Last season I only campaigned my "new" hundred year old boat MISS BLUE (MISSIE II) due to the high cost in time to maintain two launches in the water but I can be convinced! Since I cannot attend S&D meetings, the August gig there is attractive to us. I would need to know soon and the provisions for them by the hosts if I am to try to get other steam powered launches there. Needed are good secure docks and wood of proper size for hungry boilers Expresssions of interest might get the ball rolling! So far I have been underwhelmed! Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Tom, Give a call to Christina Graham at the Friends of the Museum (Ohio R. Museum) in Marieta. The number is 740 373 3750. Tell her what you've got and she can advise you whats going on. Ditto for anyone esle with a model (or full size) riverboat. ( steam, diesel, or whatever) She can send you an application form. You can do one day or both days.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X