No announcement yet.

Str. Admiral for Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll get to the Belle of Louisville soon. Just got to shake out a weekend that isn't preplanned and the money for the family to go. Might rope them into visiting a certain museum across the river to. Only a short drive from home

Comment

I don't know about her engines, but aren't her boilers still on board. I'm pretty sure I've read that a few different places

Comment

The word on the ADMIRAL's machinery

Capt. Jim Blum is unable to get on .org today, but he replied to my email questioning the disposition of the ADMIRAL machinery.
        So here is the definitive word on the relocating/scrapping from one who knows:
        Admiral Steam Engines left on board at conversion. (This was in the winter of 73-74)
        Six Flags must have had them cut up. (This would have been after she was decertified, so she did have her steam engines on board while she ran as diesel.)
        Boilers left on board at conversion and were used for air tanks for
        controls, calliope, etc. Emergency generators were installed by 6 Flags in
        former boiler rooms. (So I guess that means the boilers were removed by 6 Flags, again after going dockside.)

Steam capstan engines were removed at conversion to install electric motors for Capstans.(again in 73-74) At least one Capstan engine had the builders plate of Iowa Iron Works Company. (hmm... wonder where that went, not here) Thanks to Jim for this info, my comments in ()

So the bit about the engines being on display at the Museum of Transportation is false - just the pitmans Popeye and Wimpy are there. But that place in southwest St. Louis county is worth a visit. They have many types of transportation on display. The pilotwheel of the CAPITOL is displayed on the porch ( and is well-secured to the wall). In one of the railroad cars is Donald Wright (WWJ editor)'s desk. Lots to see, especially if you don't go when the temp is 105, as Keith and I did once.

Comment

Annie Blum here. I am disappointed that someone would regard the Albatross as a bad luck boat. She served her owners well, as both a railroad transfer boat and as an excursion boat. Everything gets old. I have researched the Albatross quite a lot using a few books and , especially, newspapers of the times. I have never read that she sunk and I would appreciate knowing the source of information. Now, there were other boats with the same name so maybe it was one of those. By the way, I have also researched the name. It seems that deep sea sailors considered the albatross as a good sign because these birds could fly quite far out from shore. Apparently the only time you got in trouble was if you hurt or destroyed one. Remember the Ancient Mariner?

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
          Working...
          X