Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help IDing wooden DQ model

Hi all,
    Wasn't sure which category this should be in, but here goes.
    I recently acquired this wooden model of the DQ. The base has a 1972 coin for the model's label. Yes, it is in need of TLC, the paper covers are loose, as are the "web" railings, and one end of the paddle wheel is loose. Then there's the issue of the missing smokestack, and the broken jack staff (and did it have a stage?) Does anyone have an intact version of this model, and when were these sold & where? The paper detail wrappers make me think this was a commercially made model.
    I'd like to restore mine, so any info would be appreciated!
    S'
    David D.
    Attached Files

Dave: Yes, those models are eqarly '70's vintage. Your is in pretty rough shape. I can't recall if they had a stage or not. I think they were sold in the DQ gift shop.

Comment

David,

These wooden models of the DQ were sold aboard the boat going way back into the early 60s, maybe even earlier than that. They were also available by mail order from Greene Line Steamers and later from the DQ Steamboat Company. Your version is the later edition, which actually has more accurate detail in some places. I acquired mine in 1963 or 64 (thumbnails below), but back then the windows were stenciled on. However, the sternwheel was cut-out wood, same as the rest of the model. I do like the wheel on the older version however. Perhaps someone on the messageboard has some photos of your version of the boat they can share with you. Good luck in your restoration project!
      Attached Files

Comment

Dave T, I have a funny story about the model you have.

Mr. Shrake had one of those that he gave to Dan, when Dan was maybe 3 years old. I saw it, and coveted it! Sharon and I had been dating maybe a year. Dan played with it in the bathtub and ruined it, much to my chagrin, as I would have taken very good care of it. I'm sure it is buried deep in the Savanna dump!

Comment

Bob and Dave I have that same one that Dave T. has although a bit worse for wear but still has the stage on it and the wheel still turns. I think a friend of mine found it at a yard sale years ago in Dayton Ohio. He was a big on garage sales and anytime he found anything pretaining to steamboats he'd pick it up for me.

Comment

Models

Alas! An answer to a question I have been asking for years!!!!

I first acquired one of the Greene Line stacked models when I was about 12 years old. I just assumed some one had just made the model as a quick hobby. Two years ago, Fred McCabe and I were in Massilon, OH and I bought a model of similar size and shape to the one I already owned for $3.

Both models are currently on display in the Monroe County River Museum's memoribillia section of the museum!

Thanks for the post!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Reynolds View Post
              Dave T, I have a funny story about the model you have.

Mr. Shrake had one of those that he gave to Dan, when Dan was maybe 3 years old. I saw it, and coveted it! Sharon and I had been dating maybe a year. Dan played with it in the bathtub and ruined it, much to my chagrin, as I would have taken very good care of it. I'm sure it is buried deep in the Savanna dump!
              Bob,

When visiting with Dan last year at his home, I believe he had one of these DQ models on display. So either he purchased a replacement, or else he restored the bathwater-logged version that his grandfather gave him many years ago. If the latter is the case, it has survived to paddle another day! Let's hope the same can be said for the actual boat!!

Comment

Just thought I'd share! We bought this directly from the Delta Queen Steamboat Company headquarters in New Orleans -- some 5-6 years ago I believe?

Also, a golden certification sticker is on the bottom with the DQSC logo along with quick facts regarding the Delta Queen's length, capacity, etc.
                Attached Files

Comment

I used to have a ceramic decanter of the DQ where the stack was the cork and that was from the 80's I believe. It was horizontal and made to look likt it was on the Water. And I won a Pewter matching dinner plate and beer stein once as first prize in a halloween contest aboard the DQ. I was dressed as the Human Cockroach.

Comment

Mel,
                    I have a ceramic DQ on the river too, but I think mine has the tree as the cork. The bottle part is actualy the "river" base, the DQ doesn't hold any booze--at least that's how I remember it--it's packed away right now.
                    S'
                    David D
                    PS Yes, I'm a sucker for DQ memorabillia

Comment

Actually David you are right it is a tree now that I remember it. yeah mine is in a box too, Lord only knows where. I have a memorabelia box too or a couple and I cruise through Ebay now and again looking for stuff. interesting what you run across.

Comment

Dave, yours is much more detailed than mine, maybe larger?
                        Here's some more pictures of mine, Could sure use some pics of what it should look like!
                        S'
                        David D.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's some pics of the hull and the base. Note that the hull has curved sides too.
                          S'
                          David D
                          Attached Files

Comment

Both of these models are hanging around the RH Shipyard office, but they are in need of restoration. There is, however a large wooden DQ model made by our all-star boatwright, Rick Starker, from a plan he found in an old copy of Popular Mechanics. As soon as Fannie comes back with the camera from a trip to Carter Cave State Park, we'll take and post a pic.

There was a fellow, in the 60's, who made the older DQ models, and he would bring a cardboard box-full down to the Gift Shop several times a year, depending upon sales and demand. The paddlewheel on my little model is made of cardboard, and not wood.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                            Working...
                            X