Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Photo Collection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Another Photo Collection

    While Capt. Charlie Lehman was doing research for his book "A Rivermans Lexicon" he visited Jeffboat and while there he noticed a box marked "discard". He asked if he could have the box which they gladly gave to him since they were going to trash it anyway. It turns out that the box contains over 2000 negatives taken by Jeffersonville photographer Bill Grant of construction photos, yard photos and people at Jeffboat during the period 1973 - 1977. Bill Grant was the official photographer of Jeffboat who they hired to document all towboat launchings, important barge launchings and the construction of the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN.
    There must be a thousand progress pictures of the MQ including all of it's trial runs. The pictures are of great historic value and they are of the highest quality since Bill was a professional photographer. I would estimate that about 70% of the pictures are in color and the other 30% in black and white.
    Charlie has given the photos to the Photo Archives at UofL. As soon as UofL can document and copy the photos, they will be available to the public.

    #2
    Good work, Jim, and thanks to Captain Charles Lehman. Finds like this are minor miracles. When we throw away pictures, drawings and documents, we throw away more than we know. That is why those of us who try to preserve our past should be especially careful to save them for our successors.

    Comment


      #3
      Collection

      What a lucky find - and so timely regarding the MQ...you wonder how many photo stashes like this are still out there - I'm surprised Ralph DuPae didn't uncover this. I wonder if the Murphy Library is continuing to add to their collection now that Ralph is gone. Do you know how many river related photos the UofL has now? Keith and I visited there many years ago to look at the "Day in the Life 1945" collection, don't remember the exact title, but that is where a lot of photos of the dismantling of the CAPITOL and SAINT PAUL/SENATOR reside.

      Comment


        #4
        So true, but it is very important to label pictures, whether they be boats, family members or old houses or whatever. Those who find them in the not-too-distant future will mark them as "trash" unless they are identified.

        Comment


          #5
          Judy, I believe what you saw were some of the Standard Oil of New Jersey photos which include all the original negatives, both the published and unpublished photos taken by Edwin and Louise Rosskam for their book "TOWBOAT RIVER".
          By the way....as part of the 200th anniversary of steam navigation on the Western Rivers, the photo archives will have an exhibit of the TOWBOAT RIVER photos at the Ecstrom Library in January and February. It should be excellent and not to be missed.
          Later in the year, in October they will have an exhibit of the Howard Photos. More on this later.

          Comment


            #6
            UoL collection

            Yes, that was it - the Towboat River pix.

            Comment

            ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X