No announcement yet.

Pilot House Nameboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some pretty good gold paints. The best I've found is to first paint something yellow or some bright color and then go over it with Liquitex acrylic iridescent gold, which is somewhat transparent, so a couple of coats is needed. It lasts a long time and doesn't tarnish. It is composed of titanium coated mica flakes and yellow iron oxide and is water soluble until it dries. It will hold up outdoors. It can be found at art supply stores or web sites and comes in a tube. I can't imagine what a package of gold leaf would run these days. Art supply stores usually keep it in a safe.

Comment

So I checked. You can cover about 2 sq. ft. with 23.75K gold leaf for as little as $31. The stuff is about one molecule in thickness, so it doesn't weigh much.

Comment

Herewith is an image, made from a slide taken by Capt. C.W. Stoll on September 17, 1962. Alan is at work on one of the new pilothouse nameboards, as steamboat engineer Courtney M. Ellis observes. Note the ring buoy on the back of the pilothouse which still reads STEAMER AVALON.

In 1972, Capt. Doc Hawley painted a new nameboard (two pieces) for the front of the pilothouse on the BELLE. That artifact is now in the collections of the Howard Steamboat Museum, as is an old AVALON pilothouse nameboard, also painted by Doc. It suffered damage in the museum's 1971 fire, but we have hopes of bringing it back to life in much the same manner that we restore stencilled and painted organ pipes. Spraying with a lacquer, restores the color, etc.

Comment

I wore a 32" belt in those days!

Comment

Don't worry. A lot of us have had to install expansion joints in our belts.

Comment

I notice I'm wearing a new red-leather cap.

One day we were down in the hull working on something dirty. I kept bumping my head on the deck beams, so I sent a young deckhand up to the Army Store to get me a cap. It was this one. I waited and waited and kept on bumping my head. Finally I asked the kid, "Where's my cap?"

Shocked, he replied, "You don't want to wear it down here, do you?"

Comment

Did he go up to the Army Surplus store up on Broadway near the L & N Station? I remember seeing one up that way some years prior to "Urban Renewal" ?

Comment

No, Jim, it was at Second or Third and Jefferson. I wouldn't dare send Jimmyray clear out to Tenth and Broadway - he might get lost. He was a really nice kid with all the brains of a locust fence post. He was killed in Vietnam.

Comment

Alan making the nameboards

Here's a couple of pictures from an article which appeared in the LOUISVILLE TIMES in August 1962. Found the article in one of my dusty boxes.
                    Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X