Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Dewey
    replied
    Great video, although I couldn't wait for all of it to download--I at least got her going under the bridge---oooh I love the echo of a caLLiope off a bridge!! The silhouette of the pilot and the wheel is a fantastic touch, what a plus!! Just wish I weren't on dial-up and weren't so far away. . .
    S'
    David D.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    Greetings from Mayville New York ..
    As it paned out the CaLLiope stayed aboard the CHAUTAUQUA BELLE till yesterday,
    As the C. BELLE had severl bus tours on Tue. so it was removed last night."Wed. the 14th". :(
    However I maybe returning to Mayville New York in about 2 weeks "with the CaLLiope" to finish out the BELLE's season .. :)

Here are some videos we shot ..

YouTube - Chautauqua Belle CaLLiope playing under a Bridge

YouTube - CHAUTAUQUA BELLE's Whistle II

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    Greetings from the pilothouse of the STR. CHAUTAUQUA BELLE ..
    Wanted to let everyone know , I'm going to have the CaLLiope on the C BELLE untill Sunday the 11th

Leave a comment:

• Richard Weisenberger
    replied
    Sure beats the sound of any air horn! We need more sounds like this on our rivers.

Originally posted by Dave Morecraft View Post
    a new video of the C BELLE's Whistle..

YouTube - STR. CHAUTAQUA BELLE'S Whistle

Leave a comment:

• Richard Weisenberger
    replied
    Sweet!! Thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Dow
    replied
    Here's another video of the CHAUTAUQUA BELLE's temporary instrument. Enjoy!

YouTube - Steam Calliope on the Chautauqua Belle 1

Leave a comment:

• Victor Canfield
    replied
    What a pleasant surprise it was for me to walk on the Chautauqua Belle and see Dave Morecroft and Captain Matt Stage. I was on my way back home to Covington, Ky. I had just spent four days in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada attending eight plays at the Shaw Festival.
    As we approached Lake Chautauqua, the lake came into view from the hill above the city. Then as we descended and made the right turn, we could see that the Belle was docked. The afternoon trips had been cancelled due to high winds. I had hoped to add this steamboat ride to my Natchez and Belle of Louisville rides this year. That will have to be another time. It was also a surprise to see that Dave had temporarily installed his calliope on the Chautauqua Belle. The boiler still had about 125 Psig remaining from the morning trip. Captain Matt was gracious to open the isolation valve and Dave played the calliope. What a treat!

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    David: Thank You very much for your kind words .. :)

It was GREAT to see some FRNs from the middle Ohio River Chapter up here in New York yesterday .. What a Suprize !! It was like a famliy reunion.. LOL

Also shot a new video of the C BELLE's Whistle..

YouTube - STR. CHAUTAQUA BELLE'S Whistle

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Matt,

I'm not certain, but I think this is the first time I've actually had the pleasure of hearing you play. Your version of "Love Nest" has all the earmarks of a Doc Hawley arrangement, at least to my ear -- and trust me, I've listened to a ton of Doc Hawley in my day. Wonderful job! Hope that some day I'll have the opportunity to hear you play an entire concert! Doc always used to play "Love Nest" on the DQ's calliope in the mid-60s when the boat was headed upriver from Cincinnati and passing Mt. Adams, where Betty Blake lived in a riverside condo up in the hills with her new husband Jack Simcox. If Betty was home at the time, she would always come out onto the deck and wave at the boat as they passed on the river below.

Judy, don't recall if I've ever heard Gabe play "Love Nest" or not, but I suspect he probably has. When Jonathan and I were visiting Doc last year to tape another interview, I commented to him that just when I think I've heard every song in his repertoire, he steps up to the keyboard and plays some new, "esoteric" number that I've never heard before! That same day we played a tape for him of two numbers he performed on the AVALON's calliope in 1956 or 57, and asked him the name of them since we'd never heard them before (or since.) He listened carefully, and turned to us with a smile and said, "Oh, those were two songs that I just made up at the time. I haven't played them since."

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Dave,

Bravo on Washington and Lee Swing! Yes, don't you just love it when someone tries to engage you in conversation while you're playing, or would like a history or mechanical explanation of the instrument in the middle of a song. The only person I've ever seen who could engage in conversation and answer questions while playing was Doc. Now, how did he do that!!?? I have an audio recording back in the early 80s of myself at the DQ's keyboard, and in trying to answer a question from a passenger about the name of the little town we were passing, my response came out in a clipped sentence, in perfect cadence to the rhythm of the song I was playing. It's hilarious to listen to, but frustrating at the same time. Boy, do those sweet Nichol tones sound mellow coming off the Lake. You are a true master of the lost art of calliope building, my friend. BRAVO, BRAVO!

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Love Nest and nesting the keyboard

Love Nest: George Burns, Gracie Allen, Doc Hawley, Dave Tschiggfrie, and now Matt Dow. Can't remember if Gabe plays it too...
    As to Dave M. being asked where the bathroom was while playing: I've always thought that new closet location of the BELLE'S calliope looks like a urinal when a male is playing. I wish they'd move it back up to the roof where it belongs for the visual effect. The calliope player can always talk to the fans when they come down from the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    hmm...if #44 doesn't take up permanent residence on the CB, any chance a new Morecraft model might appear there in the future?
    Judy: We can only hope ..
    There needs to be more Steam CaLLiopes to hear and enjoy !

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    Another video with Matt Dow playing Love Nest ..

YouTube - Steam CaLLiope 44's Instrument on the Chautauque Belle

Leave a comment:

• Dave Morecraft
    replied
    Keyboard location

David & Matt:
    We have tried sevral location. Sunday we had the keyboard on the deck below. As I was Playing the Washington Lee Swing a passenger was asking me where the restrooms were located :(..
    So I must applogize for the mistakes in this video..
    Thanks to Capt. Mat Stage for shooting it !

Also, me being old school, I want the Keyboard at the CaLLiope,,
    AWAY from the passengers . :) LOLz
    It's only been 2 days here but wow what a blast !!
    And ENJOYING every minute of it :)

YouTube - Chautauqua Belle Calliope Washington Lee Swing

Leave a comment:

• Mathew Stage
    replied
    YouTube - Chautauqua Belle Calliope Washington Lee Swing

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X