Hope for the Mississippi Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope for the Mississippi Queen

I have been following Bob Przewlocki in his quest to purchase the MQ. I spoke with him earlier this week about his endevor and here are the details. He has been trying to buy the boat since last year, first as a floating hotel, now as an overnight steamboat. He said he was talking to the owner who is offering him the boat at under $1,000,000 and he is working on getting the funds. He has got the place to rebuild her and fix the asbestos problem. He also has service lined up to get rid of the mold with a dry ice wash. He is looking for investors and assistance with this. He checked and the hull is in good shape with her last insection out of the water in 07. He is entertaining ideas for a viable and hopefully profitable operation. One of the ideas he is working on is donations to get your name on a room (plaque), the room would be know as the (your name here) room. with this donation you get 1-2 weeks a year free cruise for life. This is like a time share while the boat still takes on normal ticket sales for cruises on daily operation. If you are interested he can be contacted best by email info@preservationtradesinc.com. he is also a member of this site since May this year.
    Last edited by ed frazier; 06-24-2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: correction of email

I wish him all the best. (I can't get past the "P" in his name. Not even going to try.) I have often wished they had something like a time share on the DQ. Where would the home port be? Now if they could park the boat in Minnesota for a winter, their mold problem would go away. They could just dust it off.

Comment

port

he talks as if it will most likely be in Madison IN. That is where his Company is and where he is planning to rebuild her. River Mill Preservation Company is the name of it.

Comment

I hope we are not jinxing this endeavor by discussing it here.
        David D.

Comment

He is looking for support.

That is why I put his email so anyony can contact him he asked me to post an outline with ideas to get help and support for this. I spoke to him on this and he would have posted more on this but is having isues with logging in and posting.

Comment

Originally posted by David Dewey View Post
            I hope we are not jinxing this endeavor by discussing it here.
            David D.
            This endeavor was posted when he first came up with the idea a year or so ago. I doubt if that has kept him from buying it. Most likely the price MAL/AMIE was asking was too high. Now the new owner is offering her at a much more affordable price of under a million., which the potential owner is apparently trying to get financed. Ed, David, the Madison person and whoever else is holding out hope for the survival of the MQ, I ask you this: IF THIS PERSON IS SEEKING HELP IN FINANCING A PURCHASE PRICE OF UNDER A MILLION, WHERE IS HE GOING TO GET THE 20-30-40 MILLION WHICH WILL BE NEEDED TO REBUILD HER? THAT'S A H*LLUVA LOT OF PLAQUES TO SELL! DRYICE THE MOLD OFF AND YOU'VE GOT A CLEAN GUTTED BOAT. If someone has 37 million to throw around, why not buy the AQ which only needs to be cleaned up, not rebuilt?
            Look at the pictures several of us have posted of the MQ - please tell me that a million bucks will have her running again. Geez. Hope is one thing, delusions are another.

Comment

I have yet to come to any conclusions

This iss because I see what money and hard work can do. I have been quietly following this ssince last year. I am only helping him gather support and poss. investors to assist. He has a good idea and alot has been done from good ideas. I am not in the place to say yay or nay. Untill I see it start to happen and the boat get bought, I am a sideline player. Nothing to lose except will have to find a new topic for conversaition. The Delta Queen is also one of my topics. I guess I am a sucker for a hard luck story or I might just care for something that really doesn't matter. Either way it keeps me out of trouble.

Comment

Ed, I'm with you. Having been in vehicle restoration all my life, I do know what perseverance, hard work, money, and a lot of faith can do. The AQ will also need a lot of work to run again--those Z drives don't like to be ignored any length of time, and then there's fitting her out--that's a LOT of cabins. The US Gov't will want a lot of money for her too. I think, with funding, the MQ could be brought back online for less overall dollars--but that's just me "armchair restoring"--I've not been there, nor done as large an object in my career (biggest vehicle I did was a railroad locomotive).
                S'
                David D.

Comment

I feel ya

The bigest project I ever tackled was a 1953 Gradall but mostly musle cars and pick-ups etc., but I have to say it is edge of your seat with these boats. I wish I could do more the DQ is as close as I have ccome to even understanding the beast. But, never give up.

Comment

Just saving the MQ from the scrap heap is going to go a long way toward bolstering the morale of the steamboatin' community and keeping the flame of hope alive that our beloved boats will once again cruise America's inland waters. Take a first step like this and the doors will be open to more possibilities and opportunities to make the big dreams reality. Remember the song Blue Water Line - "if everybody gave, then we could save the Blue Water Line" - of course that was a railroad, not an ocean vessel operation. In this case we gotta save our brown water line.

Comment

MQ and rust

I have a much larger concern than just the mold. A steel hulled ship and superstructure that been allowed to get to the point where the rust is "running rust", means the shipyard will need to do some extensive sand blasting. That said, it would take a much larger investment to purchase the AQ and clean her up and ready her for operations. The MQ would be a more cost effective operation, but it would require an on-site manager that is watching the renovation and costs. This is no "slap on a coat of paint" affair. Still, it can be done. I wish him well.

Dennis Trone told that people lined up for miles to tell him he was out of his mind to build the JBS.

There is a thin line between optomistic and foolish. I agree with many of the comments on this board by both sides. Still I hope he can pull it off.

Comment

email

I am sorry for the misprint of his email address. I have a call into him to get that corrected as soon as I hear from him will post it. You can contact him through the email here he has been a member since May when she was sold.

Comment

email was corrected

I edited the post to reflect the correct email for info in detail on the venture.

Comment

Impossible or improbable?

I'd any major undertaking of this nature is improbable but not impossible. Is it practical? Who knows? With the right team and sufficient funding just about anything can be accomplished.

"DRYICE THE MOLD OFF AND YOU'VE GOT A CLEAN GUTTED BOAT."

You have to wash the dishes before you invite guests for dinner!

It might be comparing apples to oranges. There is an even bigger endeavor under way in Philadelphia...the USS Olympia. USS Olympia seeks a new caretaker | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/26/2010

Comment

A short video...

YouTube - Tall Stacks 2006: Mississippi Queen

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X