River Ramblings Program #6 Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

River Ramblings Program #6 Information

The sixth offering in my RIVER RAMBLINGS program series at the Howard Steamboat Museum will be held on Saturday, August 21st at 3:00 PM (EDT) with Capt. Carl Henry as the presenter of, "From Paddlewheels to Propellers - A View from the Pilothouse".

For complete details and photos, please visit our website by clicking on Howard Steamboat Museum - Home Page.

Mark your calendars and y'all come!

"Curator Keith"
    Attached Files

In conjunction with the RIVER RAMBLE, we will hold the 6th RUMBLE ON THE RIVER on Sunday, Aug. 22 for anyone who will still be in town. The theme of this years RUMBLE is "Coffee and Doughnuts on the River". Plans are we will board JIM'S DREAM at Duffy's Landing which is about 1 1/2 miles up river from the museum on the Jeffersonville side, starting about 9:30. We will depart about 10 for an upclose and personal tour of the Louisville harbor returning to Duffy's Landing about 12:00. Chief Kenny Howe will narrate the Jeffboat portion of our tour and yours truly will narrate the cruise on the back side of Towhead Island and perhaps River Hall of Famer Capt. Alan Bates will lend his espertise with comments along the way. We may even have a special guest star accompany us on our tour, Tom Schiffert's beautiful steam yacht MISS FORTUNE.
    So if you're still in Jeffersonville the morning after the RAMBLE, come aboard for coffee, doughnuts and more steamboatin'.

Comment

A team of wild horses couldn't hold me back! I'll be at BOTH!

Comment

Your loyal support of the museum's programs is always much appreciated!

Meanwhile, a delightfully offkey rendition of HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya today! This is number 39 isn't it ????

Have a good day and keep up steam !
        Keith
        Attached Files

Comment

Jim,

Your harbor tour on board JIM'S DREAM sounds like a great way to spend the morning after the program and festivities! Hope you'll have lots of coffee available on board. If you allow any "furr'ners" from the Upper Mississippi River to come along, I'd be pleased to join the group before heading back home that afternoon. Don't know yet whether Jonathan will be able to come down from St. Paul to join in the fun or not that weekend. It all depends on whether or not he's landed a teaching job for the coming school year and when he has to be there for opening meetings, etc. Fortunately, those days of being reined in by the sound of school bells ringing are behind me now!

Comment

Travis,

My best wishes, too, on your birthday. Hope your day was one filled with good times and lots of good memories. Attached is a 1906 ad that you will enjoy. Sounds like you, the Morecrafts, and Matt and Mat had a whooping good time at the keyboards last week. Wish Jonathan and I could have been there with all of you to witness it. See you at Howards in August.
            Attached Files

Comment

Keith and Dave,

Thanks for the good wishes. It was a pretty good day after all. That meeting of Calliopists Local #249 was like a week long vacation! I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I wish all of you could have been there. There was a great amount of knowledge shared there, not to mention a whole lotta hilarious irreverence! There is even talk of a reprisal in the Jamestown/Mayville, NY area in a couple of weeks. I don't know about my attending that one, as there is an awful lot to do here with Dad's estate. But, if anything changes, I am there!

Travis

Comment

River Ramblings weekend

As usual, the whole weekend of the River Ramblings is shaping up - if anyone is 'on the fence' about attending, hop off and come on over! Friday night will be an informal gathering after dinner, then the BELLE on Saturday followed by the highlight of the weekend: Carl's illustrated talk about his varied life on the river - he's going to be showing lots of photos he's taken over the years on so many stretches of the river, besides painting word pictures of his experiences. After his presentation, there will be the Howard 'rummage' sale of steamboat memorabilia looking for new homes, then dinner at Kingfish, followed by another informal gathering at the Towne Place Suites. Then Jim's Sunday River Rumble, and some of us ride the BELLE on Sunday afternoon too. Can't pack much more into a weekend than that! Its worth a trip from anywhere, as one of our local stores advertises....

Comment

Dave...boy I'm glad you'll be aboard. I think Jim Blum will be there. Now if we can convince Shipyard Sam that he doesn't need to be at the shipyard...the shipyard will be closed that day because I have retained the Rabbit Hash Philharmonic to play selected tunes as we board and when we arrive back at the dock. Then we need to convince Capt. Bob Reynolds his towboat can get along without him and Ted Davisson that the NOLA harbor will still be there (Ted could give Doc Hawley a ride); they need to come to Jeffersonville for that weekend. Perhaps we can get Capt. Lexie out of the Colorado Rockies for the heat and humidity of the Ohio Valley and she could pick-up Capt Gabe on the way.
                  Now wouldn't that be a crew....you, me, Kenny Howe, Alan Bates, Jim Blum, Shipyard Sam, Bob Reynolds, Ted Davisson, Clark C. Hawley, Lexie, Gabe and Travis on the electronic calliope. Why I'd have to register the boat with the pollution control district with all the "truths" flowing forth into the river. Talk about the field of dreams, or rather..... JIM'S DREAM.

Comment

Jim,

The imagination reels when thinking about that illustrious crew and the wisdom that would be proferred during the cruise. In anticipation of the event, I've made a special trip to Cabela's Sporting Goods store to be custom-fitted for a pair of hip boots for the occasion.

Comment

Dave....me thinks a full hazmet suit would be better.

Comment

River Ramblings program

Just a reminder that Keith's River Ramblings Series is open to anyone interested in the river - no license or title needed. Same goes for the gatherings at my hotel suite. If you don't know the above posters and their 'pollution' or bsing capabilities, you might think the weekend was for just a certain level of officers. Not so!

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                        Working...
                        X