No announcement yet.

Live from the steamy levees of N.O.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the unsnapped work vest in picture number 2?

Comment

wrapping up the day

Sorry if my previous posting showed an egregious error. I'm sure if the crew had rescued the person, as they have before, he wouldn't have cared about the safety violation. My kudos to the NATCHEZ crew for helping out.
      After a torrential deluge with the CBD looking like during Katrina with the winds, rain, and lightning, the day ended with a congenial gathering in the bar of LeRichelieu. 7 or 8 officers who had worked a 4 trip day stopped by for some liquid libations, along with Suzy Cobb - formerly of the purser's office and gift shop; and my BK neighbor Ott Howell. Things are much quieter here at the hotel after the festival weekend crowd left. Tomorrow brings another shot at playing a whole round of golf without the atmospheric percussions, followed by a NATCHEZ trip, and concluding with dinner at Ruby Reds on the Westbank, a hamburger joint which used to be on Esplanade. When they closed that location, Doc was afraid to break the news to me - it isn't the same since it isn't in the neighborhood and convenient, but the food remains the same. Onward to another day on the steamy links and levees of NOLA...

Comment

Those MQ pics are very sad. she's too young to go like this. she has a lot of life left in her. I wish I could do something about it

Comment

its a sad, sad ordeal. I can't beleive it, the DQ either

Comment

sieng the MQ like that would bring an erie and haunting feeling for me. Like the stuff you would see in a movie. can you still hear the whistle blow, see smoke rise from the stacks or hear that big paddlewheel churn up the river?

Comment

NOLA wrapup

It occurred to me as I mopped the water from the basement floor after yet another Midwestern deluge, that I hadn't written a final posting regarding my New Orleans visit. So here goes: On Tuesday I did manage to get a full round of golf in, without rain although there was thunder in the area. Sitting out on the roof during the 2:30 trip ended my NATCHEZ rides for the trip, as I took Doc over to Ruby Reds on the Westbank for dinner. Doc continues to work at the antique auction house and play the calliope a couple times a week, and getting interviewed for river articles, like the MQ demise one. He's doing just fine. Its hard to look at him and believe he is just 6 weeks shy of his 75th birthday. A funny anecdote: the BK House has a new docent, the 16 year old neighbor of Doc. When I was telling her the history of the BK apartment, including Capt. Hawley's time there, she told me he looks mean when he's out on the sidewalks early in the morning hosing down the concrete and watering the plants. ... but she says he's really not mean - let's hope she never is in the vicinity when he's giving someone the 'blue flame' treatment! So Doc has not only brought up many in the steamboat world, now he's getting young people involved in local history and the BK House.
              By the way, the apartment sits vacant. They have to fix the porch flooring to stop the multiple leaks into the apartment before they can start any apartment repairs. Hmm. They've missed $700 in rent so far....Appropriately as I was loading my car for the trip to the airport on Wednesday morning, the daily deluge opened up and necessitated switching from soaked to just dirty clothing in the airport restroom...ah summertime in New Orleans! I'll venture back there in August, a time when no sane person visits the city, but the hotel rates are great then and I'm sure there won't be any lines at Cafe du Monde (which I missed this trip) or Croissant d'Or. This hotel setup will be just fine although different than having the apartment. While seeing the MQ was depressing, seeing the NATCHEZ vibrant and carrying goodly numbers again and running 21 trips a week was good to see. Don't forget to include the NATCHEZ in any New Orleans trip you might be planning -
              Attached Files

Comment

Treme

I just watched the repeat of the latest episode of Treme, the hit HBO series about NOLA, set about three months after Katrina. One of the most popular characters, played by John Goodman, apparently commits suicide by getting on a ferry and jumping overboard into the Mississippi.

I had seen the original broadcast, but tonight noticed that the last thing he heard before he "jumped" was calliope music. Just sayin'

I think it was the calliope from the Natchez. There was a steamboat in the background tied up where I think the Natchez lives. Judy, can you confirm this?

Paul

Comment

Treme

I don't get HBO, so I haven't seen it, but the NATCHEZ is the only calliope in town and she's near the ferry, so it must have been her. I've been reading comments about the series in the TP, and it seems to be very acceptable to the natives and quite authentic. There are occasional suicides from the Canal St. Ferry, although jumping from the bridge outnumbers them.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
                    I don't get HBO, so I haven't seen it, but the NATCHEZ is the only calliope in town and she's near the ferry, so it must have been her. I've been reading comments about the series in the TP, and it seems to be very acceptable to the natives and quite authentic. There are occasional suicides from the Canal St. Ferry, although jumping from the bridge outnumbers them.
                    Judy, any fan of NOLA should see this series. I know the first season will be available on Amazon.com. Give yourself a present.

Paul

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                    Working...
                    X