Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AQ questions

1. Where exactly is the AQ now.
    2. Are there any pictures floating around of her tied up in storage?

Dan,

Last I heard, she was in Beaumont, TX tied up in the Government Reserve Fleet there. I bet if a person could get an address for that location you'd find her on Google Earth. The River Barge Explorer barges are supposedly tied up to her port side.

I haven't seen any pictures of her. If I do, I'll pass them on.

Travis

Comment

AQ in Beaumont

Yes, one of her neighbors is the River Explorer. Two others are the MARAD reserve ships DIAMOND STATE and KEYSTONE STATE. Capt. Joy Manthey has seen the AQ on her Kirby towboat trips. I don't know how recently she last saw it however.

Comment

What if ...

Ran into an old friend, a couple of days ago, and he asked about the AQ and I told him what little I knew from reading on here. He surprised me that he, and others, were interested in forming an investment group to liberate the boat. He mentioned that he, personally, was willing to commit a million bucks, and I told him whom his group should contact to manage the AQ if their fantasy became a reality. My friend is a retired businessman, and spent many years owning a very successful Cincinnati area B&B. The one I recommended to ramrod the operation is a riverman of great respect and talent.

Who knows what could happen if "real" people finally got a hold of running the overnight passengerboat business on the river? We just might see a return to steamboating. Sorry, but reservations are not being taken, yet.

Comment

Too bad they didn't liberate the MQ for under a million.
          S
          David D.

Comment

MQ

David, apparently it hasn't sunk in to you what we have been posting on here - you could get the MQ for under a million, but for what? To scrap or to become a reef - that's all she is good for in her current state. She is beyond repair, unless you wanted to spend 50-60 million to decontaminate and rebuild.

Comment

NOT possible

David, the Mississippi Queen cannot be placed back into service. Period. The amount of money it would take to remove the toxic mold and mildew, refit the vessel, and bring her back into service could NEVER be recovered through passenger operations.

Sad.

Comment

Unfortunately, this can probably be said for the DQ too.
                If we were in better times, maybe one could have purchased all the machinery for a new sternwheeler.
                Mind you I said "IF." And "Better times" means more than the economy, it also means having a public that appreciates history and wants to be a part of it.
                As my friend Bruno has said, "We were the Lucky Ones." And I totally agree. It doesn't mean that thinking about "our" boats still doesn't bring tears to my eyes.
                I'm a museum curator and I keep watching the statistics at our museums (5 of them) and the visitation numbers just keep falling off. . . .
                S'
                David D.

Comment

If any of the overnight boats has the slightest chance of recovery, it is the AQ. What irks me is that I leaked some possibly positive information concerning a group of investors who just might bring overnight steamboating back, but the only feedback posted was a comment better left unsaid and the rebuffing of the poster, but not one word of inquiry, suprise, or delight, or a single expression of hope that the resurrection of the American Queen might be in the making.

Comment

No response to AQ posting

Can't speak for the others, but I made no response because we've heard rumors of potential bidders for years, back to the first bankruptcy days, and I personally don't get excited at this first unconfirmed stage. Like you, I figure if any of the 3 Queens runs again, it will be the AQ, but until there is more progress on her purchase, I'll contain my enthusiasm. I just had lunch today at the Boathouse on Oneida St. Landing, where the Queens docked in Davenport, and to look out at the beautiful river and to see nothing, nothing of any type, moving, was melancholy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipyard Sam View Post
                      If any of the overnight boats has the slightest chance of recovery, it is the AQ. What irks me is that I leaked some possibly positive information concerning a group of investors who just might bring overnight steamboating back, but the only feedback posted was a comment better left unsaid and the rebuffing of the poster, but not one word of inquiry, suprise, or delight, or a single expression of hope that the resurrection of the American Queen might be in the making.
                      Well, if the gentleman of whom you speak is who I think it is, I am delighted. I'm also suprised, and a bit in awe by the news, but that is nothing new! ;-}

Comment

It'd be great to have the AQ back, there is no doubt to that. We need something out there...it is a strange place with no overnight boats left.

Comment

I'm still down in the dumps about the DQ, as it means more to me than the AQ ever will, but if anyone can get any boat running again, I'm all for it. As Churchill said, "Never, Never, Never Give Up". I keep thinking about seeing the Delta King in ruins many years ago. By comparison, the MQ, in its present state, would be a simple clean up job. About the only good thing you could say about it was that it was floating. Never-the-less....

Comment

Lexie,
                            And I remember seeing the DK when she wasn't floating. Yes, the DK was brought back from a watery grave. Both boats are made from great materials-stuff you can't even buy today. That was the DKs saving grace, and it may be the DQ's too. To me a boat is only alive when it's steamed up, and doing what it was built to do--travel the waters.
                            Yes, it will be good to see the AQ running again, but to me, it's a cruise ship built in the shape of a riverboat. Very nicely done, but not the "real" thing. Still, I hope it can be returned to service, and I encourage that effort. Maybe its return to service will help the DQ return. . . .
                            I just noticed a grocery store mag. touting a wedding of $40 MILLION dollars. Egads, half that would probably get both boats out and running! What a waste (and here I am trying to raise $100,000 to restore a theatre organ! Chump change to those guys, I"ll bet!)
                            S'
                            David D.

Comment

Yea, guess you're right Judy. If it happens we'll all jump for joy. And Frank, I was as shocked as you. Let's keep our finders and toes crossed.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                              Working...
                              X