A Glimpse of the Cincinnati Wharf in 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Glimpse of the Cincinnati Wharf in 1941

This dandy image was taken from the stern of the excursion steamer ISLAND QUEEN in 1941. Alongside the Greene Line wharfboat are the steamers GORDON C. GREENE, CHRIS GREENE and the CARY-BIRD. The U.S. Str. GREENBRIER was decommissioned in 1947 and went to Houston to become a landing boat on the Intracoastal Waterway.

An ironic coincidence of this photo is that the GORDON, as the restaurant boat RIVER QUEEN, sank on December 2, 1967 at St. Louis, the Greene Line wharfboat sank near old Fernbank Dam on October 26, 1968 and the CHRIS GREENE, being used as a boat harbor at Dayton, Kentucky, burned on July 22, 1968. These three vessels met their demise within 11 months of each other -- and the C&O Bridge, down in the distance (beyond the Suspension Bridge) was condemned and closed to traffic at midnight on November 9, 1968.

The Str. CARY-BIRD was decomissioned in 1942 and later became a wharfboat and restaurant at Jeffersonville for the excursion sternwheeler BONNIE BELLE. Later moved to Madison, I think the CARY-BIRD is now high and dry along the Kentucky River. Who knows her current status?
    Attached Files

Keith,
    The CARY-BIRD is still high near mile 2, Kentucky River (2 miles south of Carrollton/Prestonville on KY 55). She was moved there during high-water in January '05, as there was concerns about her structural integrity. It was going to be a restaurant at this location, but owner decided to keep his lease at Madison cityfront going, and operates a smaller floating restaurant there. Photo was taken during Jim Reising's first River Ramble in '05 on KY River.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cary bird

Here is the CARY BIRD in her prime. According to Way 0895: " ferry built in 1925 in Pt. Pleasant by Marietta Mfg. 139 x 30 x5.2 Ran as a ferry from Cairo to Bird's Point starting in May 1925. When the bridge was built there, she was sold to the Ohio River Transit Co. and ran in the Cincinnati-Louisville trade until sold in November 1936 to Greene Line. Hull was used for a Cincinnati boat club in 1946."
      (My title was typed correctly:CARY BIRD, but it posted in lower case, again. Anyone got a clue how to keep it all caps???)
      Attached Files

Comment

The Cincy wharf from the other end

Here is the opposite view of Keith's picture, taken at a different time, with the stern of the ISLAND QUEEN above the Greene Line wharfboat, with the second CHRIS GREENE alongside it. From what boat is this picture taken?
        Attached Files

Comment

The photo of the Chris Greene would have been taken after 1931 and before 1936. The Chris is tied up along side of the old Louisville & Cincinnati Packet Company wharfboat. The Greene Line got that ancient wharf when it bought the rights to the L&C trade along with the Kentucky, and packet John W. Hubbard in 1931. I'm not sure if the old L&C Wharfmaster "Dutch" Henry and his cat came along in the deal or not.

Comment

I don't know from what boat that photo was taken, but look closely at the Chris's sternwheel. The bucket planks look like they were not painted, which confirms a theory of mine that many of the older sternwheelers (and sidewheelers too) did not have the buckets on their wheels painted. Best reason I can think of for this practice was that those planks often got torn up with drift and other trash, so it wasn't worth painting them.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X