Greene Line Wharfboat in Covington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,
    4501; I imagine more than a few of us know that Southern beauty. Clayton's baby!
    S'
    David D.

Comment

David: This is not steamboats but she was a southern beauty alright, but I have heard that she is no longer in Southern livery. Baldwin 1911, she was and is a favorite of mine. The last time I saw her, was in the Southern yards just yards from the Ohio bank. She was totally alone and I climbed into her cab but could feel (and see) that she was being kept in steam overnight... her fires banked. Cap'n Walnut

Comment

The Cincinnati Railroad Club sponsored quite a few excursions with the 4501, which now resides at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum I do believe. Back about 1967 a local prominent attorney in Patent causes, the late Gibson Yungblut, was often known to use J Wax to polish the green boiler lagging as the 4501 was being prepared to run an excursion.

The Claytor brothers were also Steamboat fans. One was quite a collector of very rare electric model trains made in Cincinnati by the Carlisle & Finch company. Off the top of my furless head I don't remember when C & F stopped making toy trains and concentrated on the marine lighting business. I believe they are still located in an area not far from the old Cincinnati Car Company plant on Spring Grove Avenue.

For those in the Cincy area I understand there is going to be a really nifty Car Show this Sunday (11 Oct) at Spring Grove Cemetery---I know strange place for a car show-- but it draws lots of automobiles and a big crowd. At least two vintage buses will be on display courtesy of the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association.

Comment

Thanks for that information Frank. Herewith is a photo of the Louisville wharf long ago showing a wharfboat for Commercial Barge Line. Could this be the one you saw near Baton Rouge? In the distance is the U.S. Coast Guard station, now the wharfboat for the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE.
          Attached Files

Comment

No, that's not it. It was clearly the old Greene Line wharf down above Free ------ Point. Somewhere in storage with old QE2, TUTSHI, DQ and MQ slides I have a photo of it. Now to have the time to go find it.

Comment

Yeah, those words SOMEWHERE and FIND are key operatives when talking about our great big collections of steamboat stuff! Thanks!

Comment

Wow Cap'n, that kind of opportunity does not happen out here--everything (practically) is oil fired, so someone is always on duty during the night watching the spot fire. And the big railroad have security folks walking around, keeping folks away. Back in '77 I was able to climb into the cab of SP 4449 and visit with the hostler one evening, but times were different then!
                Last I heard 4501 needs a lot of work, at least flues to run again, but then the rails out here don't ring loudly! :)
                S'
                David D.

Comment

David: I gotta say that I was amazed. Mark Dreyer was head of the Emery sample dept and he alerted me to where 4501 was "sleeping". He was, and is a railfan and how he knew about it I don't remember. But Mark was a volunteer fireman and had a scanner in his office and talked to all fire departments locally. Since fire departments had to water 4501's tender (no R/R water towers anymore), Ludlow's F/D likely knew where she was. She was NOT in plain sight but back in the yard among buildings and spotted railcars. Since it was more or less on my way home, I stopped off there. I had made cab visits to 4501 before when she had a crew up in the cab...but never under way. I did do a cab ride in L&N's 152 a few years ago. Been "champing at the bit" to run my "new" steamer but either rain or the river's tore up...Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Bridge pics

Here's a link to 37 pics we've collected on the Cincinnati-Covington Roebling Suspension Bridge:

Willie and Buster's Whirlwind Tour of the World - Roebling Bridge

Comment

Judy, I do not know where the Louisville wharfboat went. I often visited it after school, circa 1938-1941, and watched the rousters load the Tom and Chris Greene. Unloading was done while I was in school, so I never saw that. A big custormer was Proctor & Gamble,so the wharfboat received truckloads of soap. American-Standard shipped a world of bathtubs, wash basins, etc., the other way. The rousters ran, and I mean RAN, all day carrying unbelievable loads. The wharboat master carried a cane as a sort of badge of office.
                      Promptly at 5:00 pm the boat left. Oddly, the Tom always backed out, straightened up and then lit out for Cincinnati. On the Chris, they held a sternline and the pilot backed against it to kick the head out, then took off without backing into the channel.
                      It was very busy, colorful and harsh. After the boat left the craps game started.

Comment

Yes, Southern Ry's 4501 is at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum in Chattanooga and in need of new flues and other repairs. The news is that TVRM is thinking of doing just that but its anyone's guess as to how long it will take. They regularly run an ex-U S Army 2-8-0 610 and have been rebuilding Southern 630, another 2-8-0. It may be in service by now or soon. If you go to Chattanooga to see the DQ, you really should visit TVRM and take a ride on their train. I believe steam engines pull it on weekends. They also run day long trips so check out their web site for schedules.

4501 was the first of a multitude of steam engines placed back in service beginning in 1966 for excursion trains that lasted until December, 1994 when Norfolk Southern shut them down. And yes, it was the Claytor brothers, Graham and Robert who made all of that possible. Graham was VP-Law of the Southern RY and later President of SR before becoming Secretary of the Navy (under Carter) and President of Amtrak. Robert became President and CEO of Norfolk Southern, having come from N&W. The locomotives they operated included Southern 4501 (2-8-2), 630 and 722 (2-8-0's),
                        Ky Ry Museum's C&O 2-8-4 2716, Canadian Pacific 4-6-4 2839, Texas & Pacific 2-10-4 610, Norfolk & Western 4-8-4 611 and 2-6-6-4 1218. Other engines that ran on SR, N&W or NS rails during those years included Southern Pacific 4-8-4 4449, American Freedom Train 1 (a Reading 4-8-4), NKP 2-8-4 765, NKP 2-8-2 587, Frisco 4-8-2 1522,
                        Ky Ry Museum's L&N 4-6-2 152, Savanna & Atlanta 4-6-2 750, Atlanta & West Point 4-6-2 290 and LNER 4-6-2 4472 the Flying Scotsman. There may have been more. To say the Claytor brothers are missed is a huge understatement.

I was a volunteer crew member on 4501 a few times, cutting coal (the dirtiest job in railroading) and oiling or greasing the engine. 4501 was pretty but not "modern". She required climbing over the frame under the boiler and down under the frame to pack her boxes with grease cakes after each day of running. Greasing the rods and oiling the bearings and filling the lubricator were done at some stops en-route. Cutting coal means a man has to ride in the coal pile atop the tender and push the coal down to the fireman so he can reach it. I have a film I shot from the top of the tender as the engine made it's way from Jacksonville to Valdosta and back.

4501 was Southern's first Mikado and had been sold to the Ky & Tennessee Ry at Stearns, Ky in the 1950's. A man from Chattanooga (Paul Merriman) bought it and asked Southern to let him take it Chattanooga under steam. They flatly refused but he kept asking different executives until he discovered Graham Claytor who set the trip up. That was the crack in the door and led to Southern's "steam program" starting up in 1966. Graham died in the early 1990's and Robert followed a couple of years later. It wasn't much longer before the new president of Norfolk Southern cancelled the program and sold off the steam shop equipment, materials, coaches and everything else to make sure no steam would operate again.

One of Robert Claytor's sons, Preston, has a steam launch named "Pocahontas" berthed in one of the marinas along River Road in Louisville. It's quite an attractive boat built somewhat like a tug boat. Must be in the 30'-35' range. The love of steam power remains strong in the Claytor family.

I'm enclosing a couple of photos from my coal cutting days on 4501.
                        -Jim Herron
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is this the same Southern engine that ran steam excursions from New Orleans to Burmingham in the late '70's? If so, I took a two day trip with Cap'n Roddy with a layover in Hattiesburg, MS. We were eating a lazy breakfast and looked up to see the train leaving the station 20 minutes early. We snached a cab, but it took an hour, or longer, to catch it. Ever try to catch a speeding train going 60 mph? We finally got back aboard, and had a memorable time. Our car was # 1041-- my lucky number.

Comment

Jim: Miss Carol and I were married in 1964 and built this place in 1966. In the fall of that year, we were working on what was laughingly called our yard (eight acres of it) when I heard a very faint wail in the distance...I shouted to Carol to get in the car. It is .4 mile to Mt Zion Rd, .8 to I-75 and likely near that again to the Southern RR trackage. We made it in time to see 4501 come bustin' thru the Mt Zion grade crossing (overpass, now) with a plum of white steam from her generator, billows of BLACK smoke laying close to her back and her whistle tearing the air wide open. I'd say it was worth the trip! I shall look for Preston Claytor's POCAHONTAS steam launch while on the BOL this afternoon (BOL's 95 BD). And, I'm with Aaron...with all due respect to DQ, if there is a better whistle than BOL's on the river anywhere, I have not heard it. I cannot believe that there was once a movement afoot to change it! Cap'n Walnut

Comment

Sam-
                              It most likely was 4501 on the NOLA to Birmingham trip but could also have been 722 or 630. All three went to New Orleans at various times. Weight restrictions kept the biggest engines away from there.
                              -Jim

Comment

Jim: Thanks for the heads up on POCOHONTAS. On the 2PM celebration of the BELLE's 95 BD, we saw her...actually shadowing us. Herewith (I hope) is her picture. On the BELLE, Steve and Tom were in the engine room and Pete went Master. Barb, Joan, Bill, Gayle, Miss Carol and I were on deck (Texas) mostly. Saw Steve and Barb off the P A DENNY long enough to get a quick tour of the PAD.
                                Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                                Working...
                                X