No announcement yet.

Neat sternwheel steamer on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the process of notifying nearby people who would love to get involved. If Glenn hasn't heard from them, it will only be a matter of time before he does. They may have a steamboat meet in October which would be a good way to meet people. And Glenn, when you feel real brave, back that boat into the lake, keeping it on the trailer, but get the hull wet and see how much water it takes on. And/Or, place a hose in it where it is now and run water in it continuously until, hopefully, it stops leaking. This may take a few days, but it will let you know if you need to do some hull work. And, wooden boat nuts look the other way, if your hull is really questionable, fiberglass it.

Comment

LOL Glen yep I always wondered what that meant. Once in a while he'd bellow out with "Quarter less thyreeee!" in the middle of the nite. And then there were always the lectures to the new watchmen and pilot house porters. "Son how much you usually pay for a hair cut?" or Whats for breakfast? Eggs Cap. Well I'm having oatmeal. "the Port Cap'n tells the Cap'n, the Cap'n tells the mate, the mate tells the headdeckhand, the headdeckhand tells the deckhands and then y"all sit on your butts(although he had another word for it). "look I dont care if ya get mad cause I'm just trying to help ya". And dont let nobody git nuthin on ya cause they'll sure use it against you. Make that Capn proud. and always say Cap'n I was just fixin to do that. Ahhhhh the Blessed light o' day. He was one of those people that you never forget. He was as honest and down to earth as a man can possibly be.

Comment

Enjoying the sweet and avoiding the bitter

The questions and information from this group are largely responsible for me starting to really enjoy owning the Guildford Belle.

My friends and I moved the GB from my next door neighbor’s place to our place where we have been studying her wood structure. None of us are experienced with boilers/steam engines, so we will focus on the wood and anything else that we can do.

I will start studying Steam Yachts, Trawlers & Launches by Thomas Reed & Co., Publishers, 1904 when it gets here and still see what I can find out on the web. I will join some, if not all, of the steamboat/ launch groups which I was so delighter to find. Prior to buying the GB, I had no idea of the extent of steamboat/launch associations or the number of people involved with steam power in launches, tractors, and fire pumps.

Note to Lexie: The inside steering wheel is still there.

“Walk trot like a polo horse.” I don’t know if folks on the river heard this much, but my brothers and I sure did.

Glenn

Comment

Glenn: I became interested in having a steam launch in 2000, when I retired. I would have given anything reasonable to get info about them. There were NO steam launches in the Greater Cincinnati area that I knew of but learned of Pat Spurlock of Elliott Bay and the book he sells: Steamboats and Modern Steam Launches which you evidently have seen or have. He also sells a book by Dick Mitchell who I believe, is the man who built your GUILDFORD BELLE. It contains a mine of useful, if somewhat dated, info including an article about your GUILDFORD BELLE. I bought MISSIE (ex MICKTOO...see David Dewey post this thread) in 2001 but never saw another steam launch until July of last year! My friend Joe Hepsworth, who sold me MISSIE, said that it is hard to find some body dumb enough to buy a steamboat...it defies all logic...but if you want to meet some very nice (dumb? I don't think so!) people, campaign a steamer on local waters. There are also some VERY nice people on this board when they don't get in a twitch about getting a magazine on time! Or politicians getting in the way of putting our beloved DELTA QUEEN back in overnight service! You might consider joining the North American Steamboat Association and attending one of the steamer meets held throughout the season. As for being foolish to own a steamer...you can smell the roses (not to mention gather more new friends) a whole lot better (and faster) at five miles per hour or less than at fifty! And, if you ever get in this vicinity, I'll be glad to give you the benefit of what little I've learned about steam launches...together with a tour of the Rabbit Hash Shipyard and Marina...not to mention a ride in MISS DEMEANOR and/or MISS FORTUNE! Cap'n Walnut.
          Last edited by Tom Schiffer; 09-26-2009, 08:51 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Road Trips

Thank you, Cap’n Walnut.

I will join the NASA and a few other groups. I appreciate your willingness to show me you boats and talk about how you operate them. My wife and I enjoy road trips and I want to go to some of the steam meets and do hope to see you (and your boats) someday.

I planned about 90 minutes before getting into steamboats and buying the Guildford Belle on E-bay. I suspect that there two general types of people that would buy a steamboat/launch; the first being someone who has done some research and planning and has some idea of what to expect and the second is someone who has done very little or no planning and has no clue what they are facing. I am, of course, the latter. However, given what I have learned and experienced in a short time, I am very happy that I bought the Guildford Belle. I have spent the last 38 years studying criminal justice, working in the criminal justice field, and/or teaching criminal justice and I am enjoying studying, thinking, and doing something very different for a change.

Glenn

Comment

tom,
              Missie is the old Micktoo?? I had no idea! I do wonder what happened to the Mikahala--I saw it on eBay about a year ago, but no idea if she sold or not. I probably should have never sold her, but that is water definitely under the bridge, and (by now) out to sea!
              S'
              David D.

Comment

David: Yes, MISSIE is the old MIKTOO. At least that is what was on her when I bought her from Joe Hepsworth who, in turn had bought her in Wisconcin. There was the name HOLT on the trailer and that may have been that owner's name. The boat was at one time owned by Bill Cody of Reno. HE is the one who had MIKAHALA and when he fitted out a steamer on a rose hull of 1972 (that had been originally fitted out as a sailboat) about 1986 he named it MIKTOO. MIKTOO was originally oil-fired but someone converted it to propane. Don't have any idea what happened to MIKAHALA. I will try to attach a photo of MISSIE with the vestiges of the name MIKTOO on the side. Cap'n Walnut.
                Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                Working...
                X