Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Mead
    replied
    Joliet Marine and Drydock Inc. owns and operates the Joliet Marine & Drydock Landing in the Port of Joliet to moor and repair floating equipment and barges and to moor its floating dry dock. At the head of the slip is permanently moored the office boat Alexander McKenzie, and a 450-ton floating dry dock is moored next to the office boat. Another 200-ton floating dry dock is moored at the outer end of the slip. The Port of Joliet's Marine & Drydock Landing has berthing space of 335 meters (1100 feet) NPE.

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shipyard Sam View Post
    Now I realize why I did not see the last days of the HEJ... as I was on the AVALON somewhere on the Upper working our way to the Missouri River. Anyone else, on here, ever steamboated on the Missouri? It's become a pretty select club.
    Shipyard,

Check your e-mail as I've sent you two newspaper clippings that you might find interesting.

Leave a comment:

• David Tschiggfrie
    replied
    Don't recall any more where I acquired this print of a watercolor, but always liked it. Pictured are the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE and the Streckfus excursion steamer SAINT PAUL, probably on the Upper Mississippi.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Richard Mead
    replied
    Historic Aerial Photos

There is a company on the web that has historic aerial photos. Alex Mackenzie appears in a 1963 aerial photo. I believe she is in an old power plant raceway or part of the I&M canal.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Johnson
    replied
    Hold on here!! So the AM still exists? I didn't know that. Anyone have a brief synopsis of how it got to where is it is today and its current disposition? Is she afloat or hauled ashore? Interior gutted or no? Machinery?

Leave a comment:

• Richard Mead
    replied
    Alexander Mackenzie at Joliet 1-2010

Here is the Alexander Mackenzie on the waterway in Joliet, IL in January of 2010
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Keith Baylor
    replied
    Machinery on "Lewis"

Mr. Jones - you must've done nice work on the transfer pump gaskets, because I ran that same pump on air from time-to-time in 1987-88.

Originally posted by Carl Jones View Post
    I was Curator on the Dredge Captain Meriwether Lewis but we never fire her water tube Foster Wheeler boilers. In fact I helped pump the last of her bunker C off. I ran the transfer pump on air from the starboard to port tanks. Had to re gasket that steam engine to do it.
    ut riverrat

Leave a comment:

• Capt Mike
    replied
    Capt. "Sam", I was aboard the Delta Queen on her trip up the Missouri back about 88? Adrian Hargrove and I believe John Davitt were pilots, we only went as far as St. Charles, (about 32 miles) 32 too far for the old Delta Queen, any higher water, she couldn't have shoved up river, we only made about 3 mph up bound, any lower on the gauge and we couldn't have made it, the old DQ with her near 9 foot draft drug across a few bars on the way up and out... As I recall our top downbound speed out of St. Charles was 22 mph, had to run her full hard ahead to out run the current to maintain steerage, kind of scary on a little river with the most damn wood and rock dikes I have ever seen!

Leave a comment:

• Capt Mike
    replied
    Norman Hilman

I had the great honor of serving aboard the Delta Queen with Captain Norman Hilman, the long time Captain of the Mack! The stories he had,along with my very good friend who tought me the Upper, Bill Foley, my miserable life was blessed to have lived and learned in the presence of these wonderful rivermen,talented, experienced pilots, careful, but stern teachers,some of the most beautiful human beings I have ever known! Thank you, my friends!

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    question did the Mackenzie always blow such black smoke or had the photographer ask the engineer / or fireman for some smoke. As for Missouri River steamboat men those that are left are few maybe some off the corps dredges. Bob Sage in Brownville, Ne. may have visited some corps boats as a kid. There is one fellow in Washington , Mo. who may still be alive. I was Curator on the Dredge Captain Meriwether Lewis but we never fire her water tube Foster Wheeler boilers. In fact I helped pump the last of her bunker C off. I ran the transfer pump on air from the starboard to port tanks. Had to re gasket that steam engine to do it.
    ut riverrat

Leave a comment:

• Richard Mead
    replied
    Hello:
    Were the boilers water tube or fire tube? How far could the boat go before it needed coal? Were the boilers automatic stoker?

Leave a comment:

• Richard Mead
    replied
    Alexander Mackenzie can be viewed at this link on google...wait for the street view to pop up.
    <Joliet, IL - Google Maps
    625,-95.677068&sspn=43.934478,69.082031&ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ar=Joliet,+Will,+Illinois
    &ll=41.533929,-88.082746&spn=0.004923,0.012521&t=h&z=17&layer=c&c bll=41.533689,-
    88.08284&panoid=liqPpVptbwoqBH9N0zC2dw&cbp=12,322. 59,,0,-8.33>

I went to Alexander Mackenzie when looking for a job out of highschool in about 1973, Mississippi Barge Lines used her/him as their office...all the doors still had the oval door knobs on them.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Norrington
    replied
    Among my souvenirs and river treasures is a well worn log book from the Str. ALEXANDER MACKENZIE, a gift in 1968 to Capt. Doc Hawley from Capt. Walter Karnath -- and a gift to me from Doc in 1998. The log is for the years 1941-42 and contains the typical entries of a working towboat with weather, river stages, diagrams of tows, crew, etc. A fascinating look at the day to day activities aboard the MACKENIZIE.

Photos:
    (1) ALEXANDER MACKENZIE passing La Crosse, Wisconsin.
    (2) Capt. C.S. "Rip" Ware (left) and Capt. & Mrs. Walter Karnath on DQ at Winona - June, 1979 - Photo by Judy Patsch.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• John Fryant
    replied
    In April 1977 I was aboard the Julia Belle Swain for a 5-day trip from Chattanooga to Louisville. I had volunteered to re-paint the three arched signs above the front stairway. We picked up some sign painters enamel in Evansville and I did the job while the boat was underway. I hadn't thought about how much a sternwheeler vibrates but I sure found out in short order! It was cold too! However, persistance and determention won out over adversity and everyone was pleased with the finishd job.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Doc lettering the &quot;JS&quot;

Since Keith's offline till Monday, here's the pix he took of Doc as he prepared to paint: BELLE OF LOUISVILLE Port of Louisville KY on the newly-installed siding. This was taken in March 1973 in winter quarters.
    The second pix is in better weather and is a much shorter task. Here Doc is painting the stern sign for the new NATCHEZ in the shipyard at Braithwaite.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X