pictures from the S.S. Klondike and the S.S. Tutshi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pictures from the S.S. Klondike and the S.S. Tutshi

Back from our Alaska/Canada trip I brought - as usual - some new steamboat pictures. I was expecting to make pictures from the S.S. Klondike at Whitehorse but to my total surprise we found another steamboat the same day at Carcross, Yukon Territory on our way back from Whitehorse to Skagway to the cruise ship.
    At little village of Carcross we found the remainings of the S.S. Tutshi, and you might want to read about her in my entry to the "Steamboat Traveller" here at steamboats.org: S. S. Tutshi, Carcross | steamboats.org

The S.S. Klondike pictures are here: S.S. Klondike Pictures | steamboats.org
    And if you're interested in some details aboute the Klondike, again check the "Steamboat Traveller": S. S. Klondike, Whitehorse | steamboats.org

And yes, this is snow what you're seeing on the sand bars in the Yukon River, while we've been there in early June there was still a lot of snow on the sand bars in the river while the air temperatur that day was actally around 75 degrees.
    Attached Files

WONDERFUL photos Franz! Thanks so much for sharing these fascinating images. The views of the TUTSHI are certainly sad and remindful of pictures taken after the fires that claimed the SPRAGUE (1974) at Vicksburg and the JULIUS C. WILKIE (1981) at Winona, both blazes attributed to demented arsonists!

Comment

The TUTSHI (pronounced Too Shy) was restored as a wonderful tourist atraction in Carcross, Yukon Territory. Luckily, I saw her in 1986, before she became fodder for an arsonist's match.

There is a book called "Yukon River Steamboats: A Pictorial History" by Stan Cohen, published by Pictorial Histories Publishing Co.; Missoula, Montana; 1982 that gives a good accounting of steamboating on the Yukon.

Comment

Frank, did you take any pictures at your visit in 1986? I'd love to add a "historic" pictures to the Steamboat Traveller guide showing the Tutshi in her full pride ...

Franz

Comment

Yes, I did......numerous ones! They are slides, and I have no idea how I can get the images to you.

Comment

Stumbled across this neat little music video with the Klondike in it titled "Paddlewheeler." Figured some of you would enjoy it.

YouTube - Hank Karr sings Paddlewheeler

Comment

Phillip,

Great video!!

We´ve made a stop on our way back in Carcross to have some ice cream at the General Store. While browsing through the store I found the postcards of the SS TUTSHI and sent Franz out to take photos. And they played exactly that song :-). Besides the postcards I ended up buying a steamboat book and Hank Karr´s CD.

Carmen

Comment

Frank, I guess Walgreens will scan slides and put the pictures on a CD. i.e. if you want to trust Walgreens with your valuable slides .. I'll cover all cost, of course!

Comment

I can do that, but don't be in a hurry. I have to go through my dusty boxes to find the TUTSHI slides.

Comment

Look what Parks Canada has done with the Tutshi

While not a rebuild in any way, Parks Canada has built a skeleton structure that matches the outline of a steamboat to complete what littel remains of the Tutshi at Carcross. It is complete with what little remains of the engines and steam boiler. Kind of creepy to crawl around the decks and engineroom of what was once a great lake/riverboat.

BTW, the $6 tour of the Klondike is complete with a 20 minute movie of river boats goind up the Yukon through narrow cuts in the river. Amazing what they did as late as the early 50's. In one scene they show how riverboats grabbed a cable and used a steampowered winch to help pull and guide the paddleboat though a narrow channel. Lots of neat restored items and cabins on the boat. The engine room is complete, as well as the paddlewheel. Well worth the time. Let me know if interested and I can post some photos.

Originally posted by Franz Neumeier View Post
                    Back from our Alaska/Canada trip I brought - as usual - some new steamboat pictures. I was expecting to make pictures from the S.S. Klondike at Whitehorse but to my total surprise we found another steamboat the same day at Carcross, Yukon Territory on our way back from Whitehorse to Skagway to the cruise ship.
                    At little village of Carcross we found the remainings of the S.S. Tutshi, and you might want to read about her in my entry to the "Steamboat Traveller" here at steamboats.org: S. S. Tutshi, Carcross | steamboats.org

The S.S. Klondike pictures are here: S.S. Klondike Pictures | steamboats.org
                    And if you're interested in some details aboute the Klondike, again check the "Steamboat Traveller": S. S. Klondike, Whitehorse | steamboats.org

And yes, this is snow what you're seeing on the sand bars in the Yukon River, while we've been there in early June there was still a lot of snow on the sand bars in the river while the air temperatur that day was actally around 75 degrees.
                    Attached Files

Comment

SS Klondike

We just drove through White Horse and took some picture of the SS Klondike. Apparently admission is free this summer but when we showed up in costume the staff not only offered to let us in the roped off areas but took pictures for us.

More pictures were posted here: SS Klondike - The Steampunk Empire
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Karl Marx; 08-02-2013, 06:07 PM. Reason: Add more pictures

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                      Working...
                      X