• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Hinchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl Jones View Post
    Capt James Herbert
    I did some searching in my lists of licenses steamboat personnel 1868,69,70,71,74 I didn't come up with much on you James. I found him in the 1870 census for New Orleans 5 District. where he is listed as a steamboat man, worth 100.00 and born abt 1836 in Ireland. His wife is Catharine born abt 1838 in Scotland, Son James born abt 1864 in Missouri, son Henry Edward born abt 1866 in Missouri and dau Hana ??? born about 1869 in Louisiana. I only found one license for him He got his first issue of a mates license in 1871 at New Orleans #69. It cost him $5.00. If he got his first issue as a mate in 1871 first year mates had to have a license, It is hard to see him as a pilot or captain earlier.

In St Louis city directory in 1854 that was a Charles Herbert reported to be a pilot living on the west side of 7th st between Lafeyette and Soulard. There is a Eugene Hebert who held a 1st Class pilots license 7th issue in 1869. 12th issue in 1874. In 1850 census I have a st Louis boatman William Herbest born abt 1815 in Ireland.

I checked mainly the St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans listings. He does not appear in Way's Packet directory or in Gould. Carl Jones

Thanks very much for your research Carl. We have never been sure he was actually a Capt.

He left Liverpool for the US after he was recorded in the 1861 UK census as a sailor living with his father at Toxteth Park. The family had moved to Liverpool from Ireland in about 1843.

He had James jnr and Henry in Missouri between 1864 and 1866 but I have no idea what he was involved in as a sailor at that time. I can't find him in Civil War records. Catharine had been in Orleans with her mother in the 1860 census but moved to Missouri ? with James. I wonder if this was to escape the fighting in Louisana.

Is it possible for me to obtain a copy of his mates licence? What does this give him as far as rank on a steamboat?

James has been a mystery that various members of our family have tried to unravel for 25 years!!

(The other Herberts you mention are unlikely to be related to me).

Anyhow, again, your help Carl is very much appreciated.

Regards

Peter Hinchy
    Brisbane Aus
    phinchy@bigpond.net.au

Leave a comment:

• Peter Hinchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Judy Patsch View Post
    The Mercantile Library in St. Louis has a vast collection of license records from various cities, including New Orleans. Contact bgorden@umsl.edu
    Bette Gorden is the curator of the river collection, housed at the University of Missouri St. Louis campus.
    Thanks Judy. I will follow up on your advice. Regards, Peter

Leave a comment:

• Carl Jones
    replied
    Capt James Herbert
    I did some searching in my lists of licenses steamboat personnel 1868,69,70,71,74 I didn't come up with much on you James. I found him in the 1870 census for New Orleans 5 District. where he is listed as a steamboat man, worth 100.00 and born abt 1836 in Ireland. His wife is Catharine born abt 1838 in Scotland, Son James born abt 1864 in Missouri, son Henry Edward born abt 1866 in Missouri and dau Hana ??? born about 1869 in Louisiana. I only found one license for him He got his first issue of a mates license in 1871 at New Orleans #69. It cost him $5.00. If he got his first issue as a mate in 1871 first year mates had to have a license, It is hard to see him as a pilot or captain earlier.

In St Louis city directory in 1854 that was a Charles Herbert reported to be a pilot living on the west side of 7th st between Lafeyette and Soulard. There is a Eugene Hebert who held a 1st Class pilots license 7th issue in 1869. 12th issue in 1874. In 1850 census I have a st Louis boatman William Herbest born abt 1815 in Ireland.

I checked mainly the St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans listings. He does not appear in Way's Packet directory or in Gould. Carl Jones

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    The Mercantile Library in St. Louis has a vast collection of license records from various cities, including New Orleans. Contact bgorden@umsl.edu
    Bette Gorden is the curator of the river collection, housed at the University of Missouri St. Louis campus.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Tinnin
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Sisak View Post
    I remember the story about Popeye buying a gold watch and having it engraved honoring himself for his years of service to the DQ just to show it to a pilot with more years of service. I don't remember who the pilot was but he was angry the company didn't give him a watch for his service.
    I happened to visit the MQ pilot house right after Popeye did that... the pilot involved was Capt. Milford Lawrence. Popeye had the watch engraved at a Natchez jeweller.
    Last edited by Keith Tinnin; 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Lexie Palmore
    replied
    There is a nautical theme that you can put on your computer's appearance, that is screen saver, icon, sounds, etc. It is on my XP program. When I shut down, it makes the creaking rope sound. The pointer is a spinning pilot wheel and a sea shell. Lots of other good stuff. See if you've got it.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Hinchy
    replied
    Captain James Herbert

I am new to this site. I would be grateful if I could be pointed in the correct direction to continue my research re my gggrandfather, James Herbert.
    He was born in Ireland and was listed as a steam boat master on the 1870 New Orleans census. His two youngest children were born in Missouri in 1864 and 1866. I have no further information re him until he arrived in Australia in about 1874. Any information re his time on the Mississippi would be greatly appreciated. Peter Hinchy

Leave a comment:

• mel hartsough
    replied
    Dennis you've jogged my memory and yes he made the lower end trip. I'd forgotten about that. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Shenk
    replied
    Mel
    Is my memory failing or did Ed Winford make that Calypso trip too?
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• mel hartsough
    replied
    I think it was around 81 Judy as the Calypso followed us on the MQ from NOLA to vicksburg. Lol about the bathing habits yeah thats Popeye. He really was fun to work with and kept things going all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Judy Patsch
    replied
    Gene Tronier

That's Popeye - he was pilot on the AQ up here this summer. Years ago, he piloted Jacques Costeau's boat on the UMR - CALYPSO. He was quite distraught at the lack of bathing habits and accompanying odiforousness of the crew in their close quarters...

Leave a comment:

• Jim Blum
    replied
    Popeye, to the best of my knowledge, is alive and well as of this date.

It was Popeye who sold the company on one, maybe a pair of hand held marine radios to use in landing the DQ.

Leave a comment:

• mel hartsough
    replied
    Popeye would actually do stuff like that. OMG he was the best at making somebody mad. He and Capt. John Ritchie were'nt the best of friends and I remember John used to carry a little .25 auto in his pocket when he came on watch. He felt that Popeye was crazy and didnt want to take a chance lol.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Sisak
    replied
    I remember the story about Popeye buying a gold watch and having it engraved honoring himself for his years of service to the DQ just to show it to a pilot with more years of service. I don't remember who the pilot was but he was angry the company didn't give him a watch for his service.

Leave a comment:

• mel hartsough
    replied
    Popeye, LOL the stories I could tell. He was a great prankster. He put limburger cheese under my matress one time.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

ADVERTISEMENT
Working...
X