Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scrapping Wilson Line steamer Mount Vernon at Brooklyn Navy Yard-When, Where, How??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrapping Wilson Line steamer Mount Vernon at Brooklyn Navy Yard-When, Where, How??

The Wilson Line steamer Mount Vernon ran from Washington DC to Mt Vernon VA and Marshall Hall MD from the 1940s to early 1960s. It later became The Charles Zimmerman, and then River Princess, ending up as a prospective dinner cruise boat on the Hudson River in the 1980s. This never actually materialized and her exact fate has been hard to find out. She is rumored to have been scrapped at Brooklyn Navy Yard in the 1990s. I would like to know any details about this, such as exact date, place, etc....

Wilson Line

I think you've crossed boats with Mt. Vernon (Zimmerman) and the Bay Belle. Bay Belle was in Brooklyn and disappeared as you noted. The Zimmerman was converted from the Mt Vernon after she sank at the pier in Washington in the early 1960s. I think both boats were "sisters" and were originally built as "State" or "City" class boats.

There was a thread on this subject a few years ago.

Fate of S.S. Mount Vernon/River Princess - List Thread

Wesley

Comment

I saw that. I thought maybe I could find something new. So you think possibly the MT VERNON was never there, it was always confused with Bay Belle?

Comment

Bay Belle - Official Number Help????

Clinton,

The Bay Belle's official number is 207202. Zimmerman/Mt. Vernon is/was 214055. I think Zimmerman was towed to Boston after the Seafarer's Union finished with her and sank there pending use as a restaurant. Bay Belle went off the map in New York at some point.

Maybe one of the dot org'ers can help with research on the Official Numbers?

Wesley

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
        Working...
        X