What Do These Pictures Have In Common

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do These Pictures Have In Common

For the giant Snickers bar, what do these three pictures all have in common; besides they are all sternwheel and were taken at Lousville?
    1. SOUTHLAND
    2. GORDON C. GREENE
    3. AVALON
    Attached Files

They ALL come from the University of Louisville Photo Archives collection????

Comment

Pilot house mid boat? Nah, too obvious.

Paul

Comment

An ice cream cart, or whatever is in that 2-wheeled white cart...

Comment

Were they made by Capt. C. W. Stoll? Here is a sure winner - all are headed upstream!

Comment

Jim,

All the boats are landed at the 4th street Wharf in Louisville, KY.

~Travis~

Comment

Judy is the winner! I owe you a giant Snickers bar the next time I see you. Yes, there's an ice cream cart in each of the pictures; well, there's two in the AVALON picture. To me this poses many questions....was it the same man? Why was he on the wharf, seems like a poor place to sell ice cream. Was he a steamboat buff and just fascinated looking at the boats?
              These three pictures cover about 20 years. The SOUTHLAND was out of business around 1931, the GORDON C. GREENE's picture was probably taken around 1937, and the AVALON was taken in the the late 40's or early 50's. If you enlarge the original pictures, you will see that "Oliver's Delicious" went from 5 cents when the GORDON was in town to 6 cents by the time the AVALON landed.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X