Today in History - the Big E's Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today in History - the Big E's Birthday

Today, Aug. 4th, is Capt. Ernest E Wagner's birthday. Here are 3 pix of the Big E taken on my very first DQ trip, Aug. 20-23, 1973.
    1) A commanding presence on the wingbridge
    2) Posing with my friends and their Vox Calliopus certificates
    3) Playing the bones, probably Alabama Jubilee. Mate Gabe Chegery on piano, Mom Tooker on bass, Vic Tooker on banjo, Pop Tooker on drums, Pete Eveland on organ. Seated at the Captain's table is Dick Billings, who was the charter's director(State Bank of East Moline) and across from him in orange Jeanne Kittrell, who was doing a guest performance. Sadly, it was announced at our Bix Fest last weekend that Jeanne has had to retire from performing due to health issues.
    Attached Files

Attached below is one of the finest color pictures of Capt. Wagner that I've ever seen. This dandy photo is courtesy of Mary Bill Bauer, and shows Big Cap on the AVALON at Louisville in 1953, the boat's last year as a coal-burner. The consummate roof captain, the Big E was instrumental in bringing along the next generation of excursion and tourist steamboat mates and masters, in a day and time when it appeared they would become extinct. A long, heart-felt harbor salute to Capt. Ernie. He was truly one of a kind.
    Attached Files

Comment

Big Birthday Week

At least five illustrious rivermen were born this first week of August:
      1st - Captain Clarke "Doc" Hawley
      2nd - Hon. Gordon Greene, Son of Captain Tom and Mrs. Letha Greene
      3rd - Captain Wilbur Dow
      4th - Captain Wagner
      5th - Captain Nelson Jones

In honor of these fine gentlemen, and all others who claim August (the best month for swimming in the river) as their birth month, the Rabbit Hash Shipyard will remain closed until Monday, 2 September.

Comment

Well by Golly, let's break out the limberger cheese and the keg of beer! Ballyhoo!

Comment

Shipyard Sam,
          I would like to correct you on one thing. My grandfather's birthday is the 5th. Funny thing is that mine was the 3rd, so you did get one Dow right.

Comment

And don't forget the oysters on the half shell! Indeed, a long and loud whistle salute in tribute to Capt. Ernie!

(Photo: April, 1969 - Steamboat Race - "The Big E." on the bridge.)
            Attached Files

Comment

Today is Wilbur Dow's B'day

Thanks Matthew, the old memory t'aint what it was- must be all that banging of those corkin' mallets down in the yard, but it seems like a graveyard, now, with everything shut down in celebration of the many August birthdays, including yours.

I had the distinct honor of knowing your distinguished grandfather and talking with him on many occasions.

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
              Working...
              X