X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mississippi Queen simulator!

Hello Steamboaters!

Another year... another update... :)

I have completely recreated the Mississippi Queen for a simulator known as Virtual Sailor. The boat has accurate physics and runs very well in the water.

I put together this page online to give a small tour of what is coming...

Check out the new simulator add-on at http://www.coasterexchange.com/mqvs/

The new model includes working paddlewheel, and pitman arms... working instruments in the pilothouse, radar, map system, depth finders, gps, and working steering tillers! :) There are also new steam whistle and calliope sounds as well as steam engine sounds recorded from the real Mississippi Queen as she visited the upper ohio river this past summer! If you look at the first picture on the webpage... you will notice on the computer in the background is steamboats.org... :) I added that as a nice touch for this site.

Thanks for looking, and I will post again when she is available for download! :D

-Nick

comments, suggestions??? phxfan13@aim.com

Keeps your good works coming. The gang, down here at the Rabbit Hash Shipyard, can't wait for the download. I knew a fellow about your age, when I was first starting out myself, who was always copying old steamboat plans and such. Eventually he became a marine architect somewhere out West and did pretty well for himself. Obviously you, too, have a bright future with such creative genius.

Comment

Mississippi Queen Simulator

Very nice!! I was lucky enough to once try the towboat simulator at the Seaman's Church Institute here in Paducah. That was the first time I realized there was a system other than the traditional ship's wheel to steer a boat.

I see that the Mississippi Queen also uses this system for steering. We were shooting a segment at the Seaman's Church Institute for Paducah 2 Television, where I have been Engineer since 1989. When I tried my hand at the simulator I found that you've got to anticipate your moves well before you make them and not to overcompensate!!

Originally posted by Nick-Taylor View Post
      Hello Steamboaters!

Another year... another update... :)

I have completely recreated the Mississippi Queen for a simulator known as Virtual Sailor. The boat has accurate physics and runs very well in the water.

I put together this page online to give a small tour of what is coming...

Check out the new simulator add-on at http://www.coasterexchange.com/mqvs/

The new model includes working paddlewheel, and pitman arms... working instruments in the pilothouse, radar, map system, depth finders, gps, and working steering tillers! :) There are also new steam whistle and calliope sounds as well as steam engine sounds recorded from the real Mississippi Queen as she visited the upper ohio river this past summer! If you look at the first picture on the webpage... you will notice on the computer in the background is steamboats.org... :) I added that as a nice touch for this site.

Thanks for looking, and I will post again when she is available for download! :D

-Nick

comments, suggestions??? phxfan13@aim.com

Comment

Glad you are looking forward to it... I am still working on the pitmans, trying to get them right. Interesting you mention the Seaman's Church Institute Richard... my uncle works there... his name is Robert Taylor, and along with the rest of my dad's family has worked on the river. I have been on Towboats since I was 3 years old... and I first saw the Mississippi Queen when I was 2. I still have the picture from that day. :)

Comment

Mississippi Queen's Whistle

Small World! I grew up in the Greater Cincinnati area and saw the Mississippi Queen on its first arrival. I was 26. What interested me the most were its whistle and calliope, as I was already into designing and building whistles.

The Queen's large 3 bell chime whistle disappointed me, as the steam flow to it was apparently choked. A whistle of that scale should have been loud. The bowls were obviously much too thin to allow enough space between their inlets and the back of the languid plates. They may have also had undersized inlets. I believe they were built by the Davis Calliope Works.

With a little understanding of how design affects performance in whistles, things such as this could be easily fixed and totally prevented from happening in the future. The main point is that there would be no reason to add air horns to boats already having steam whistles.

My wife and I moved to Paducah in 1985 and we now have a 13 year old son. I would like to meet your uncle. I work at West KY Community and Technical College as Engineer of the TV Department. Maybe I could get him to join my group all about steam whistles and their design at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/steam-whistles and learn more about them.

Starting at less that 60 members several years ago, our group has grown to over 300 members. Many who never dreamed of owning one are now designing their own steam whistles. I offer an open invitation to all who love the sound that only a true steam whistle can produce. Two full generations of the general public have grown up not knowing the real difference between a steam whistle and air horn. My goal is to help reverse that trend.

Originally posted by Nick-Taylor View Post
          Glad you are looking forward to it... I am still working on the pitmans, trying to get them right. Interesting you mention the Seaman's Church Institute Richard... my uncle works there... his name is Robert Taylor, and along with the rest of my dad's family has worked on the river. I have been on Towboats since I was 3 years old... and I first saw the Mississippi Queen when I was 2. I still have the picture from that day. :)

Comment

**UPDATE** on the sim

I just wanted to show everyone these 3 new screens.

I got the locks working. :)

Here are 3 pictures of the Mississippi Queen arriving, and departing Robert C. Byrd Lock... I still have to model the dam and a few other details around there (nav lights and such).

With this simulation, you can adjust river currents... I was practicing in 10 mph current. :) I made about 1 mph upbound
            Attached Files

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
            Working...
            X