tow boat painting SAM MAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tow boat painting SAM MAY

Here is a picture of a painting Alan Bates asked me to post. Alan, your comments, please ;-)

Franz
    Attached Files

Thanks Alan and Franz for sharing and posting the artwork.

Comment

Nice painting. Great style. Alan should paint more.

Comment

That was painted in my imitate Harlan Hubbard phase. It's not the Sam'l L. May, despite the name painted on it. Rather, it is a 'generic' towboat. The painting is about 22" x 16" in size and it belongs to my son.

Comment

Should have said it, I was thinking it, but your painting clearly resembles a Hubbard. Got a couple of authentic HH paintings that may go on the block to help finance a workboat for the shipyard. Anyone venture a guess what the market will bear?

Comment

Sam, there won't be any more Bates paintings. They are, I must say, rarer than Picassos or Rembrandts, so they must be worth millions. My physicians gave me a choice - I can have steady hands, or I can breathe. I chose the latter.

Comment

Alan, I'm not at all surprised to see your painting(s) are as good as your writing, etc. It appears the SAM is downbound at Diamond Rock/Cedar Branch/Edwards Hollow in the Oxbows. True?

Comment

I have a couple of Hubbards, as well, and have no idea what they are worth, not a clue. A Hubbard follower would be willing to pay well for them. Let me know if you can get a good appraisal.

Comment

When I got my Harlan Hubbard paintings (two of them on opposite sides of a piece of tin) his paintings of that size were selling for about $750.00. When he died the value of his works skyrocketed.

Comment

Here's hoping, Alan. Lexie, I'll let you know what I find out.

Harlan gave me a painting called "Gray Days" for showing him around the DQ, back in 1971, and the second I bought from Flatboat Bela who purchased "Tell City Waterfront" from Harlan when we took the WINIFRED to Payne Hollow for a memorable visit with Harlan and Anna in 1978. Though I hate the thought of parting with my two Hubbards, I had to do some soul-searching to try to think what Harlan might say, and I believe he would advise me to go ahead and sell the paintings if it meant raising some hard cash for the purchase of the Rabbit Hash Shipyard workboat.

http://groups.msn.com/WillieandBuste...o&PhotoID=1991

Comment

Two 4"x6" watercolors by Harland Hubbard just went for $77 and $72 on Ebay....

Comment

This is from Yvonne at the Howard Steamboat Museum:

Garth's Auctions, Delaware Ohio, handled Bert Fenn's estate auction in June, 1994. Several Harlan Hubbards were included (as well as thousands of other river related items) Three were on masonite: Southland, "Towboat Meeting Packet", and "Big Bone Island, Ohio River" sold for $1567.50, $650.00, and $660.00, respectively. The one oil on tin sold for $1182.50. All were framed with their "original plank frame." Average size: 26" x 20 "

Comment

ADVERTISEMENT
                        Working...
                        X